Are Eskimo fans any good?

Chris Argentino

A seller near me is selling this Eskimo box fan for $20. With a little rust removal, I can get her looking nice.

Are they good fans and do the motors last? (anything I should watch out for)? Also can they be oiled? What year is this fan from?

E9F4B56D-1E58-41DC-90FE-CD4DEED55444.png

I don’t think you can go wrong on that price. Tom Zapf is our resident expert on those, hopefully he will chime in.

Back in their day, they were good fans for the money. Keep them oiled with 3-In-1 in the blue can or Zoom spout turbine oil and keep the motor ports blown free of dust and they should provide many more years of service. By today’s standards, they are high quality. I know of many properly maintained units still chugging since the mid to late 60’s.  Occasionally, a blade rivet might loosen just enough to produce a slight buzzing noise. If so, just peen it a bit.

Circa  1970

THOSE ARE PERPETUALLY ON EBAY AND THAT LOOKS LIKE EARLY 1960S WITH  4 WING BLADE AND THE COLOR.  THEY CAN BE OILED AND THEY ARE PRETTY HEARTY AS LONG AS YOU DONT GET IT WET AND TRY TO RUN IT ... THEY MAKE A FAIR BREEZE IN THE WINDOW ...FOR $20 YOU REALLY CANT GO WRONG 

30 minutes ago, Tom Zapf said:

THOSE ARE PERPETUALLY ON EBAY AND THAT LOOKS LIKE EARLY 1960S WITH  4 WING BLADE AND THE COLOR.  THEY CAN BE OILED AND THEY ARE PRETTY HEARTY AS LONG AS YOU DONT GET IT WET AND TRY TO RUN IT ... THEY MAKE A FAIR BREEZE IN THE WINDOW ...FOR $20 YOU REALLY CANT GO WRONG 

Thank you for the help! I will buy it this coming weekend

On 4/15/2023 at 8:44 PM, John L Albright said:

Back in their day, they were good fans for the money. Keep them oiled with 3-In-1 in the blue can or Zoom spout turbine oil and keep the motor ports blown free of dust and they should provide many more years of service. By today’s standards, they are high quality. I know of many properly maintained units still chugging since the mid to late 60’s.  Occasionally, a blade rivet might loosen just enough to produce a slight buzzing noise. If so, just peen it a bit.

Circa  1970

Thank you!

On 4/15/2023 at 4:43 PM, Stan Adams said:

I don’t think you can go wrong on that price. Tom Zapf is our resident expert on those, hopefully he will chime in.

He just replied. Thank you for moving my post to box fans. I had no clue there was a section for them

• 1 month later...

I have the 20" version of that fan and it was a goodwill find and I wired a new cord on and replaced the old fiber washers and it works really well yet.