Geissler Rotators

Louis Luu

I have three weeks off and need to finish off the rotators.  It was difficult to source the square brass rod...but I have them now and can make the holders.  These will be drawn up and casted.  The wood will be sent out for CNC.

The tube holders came in two different styles.  It is already drawn awhile back...just needed the square brass rod...these are often missing are busted.  I will be making plenty.

6.thumb.jpg.74ecab2f8d4720163fec7c2dd4c422fd.jpg

The first one is a Ziegler.  Fan attachment, Geissler rotator and color wheels are optional attachments.  I have the color wheel and need to draw that up as well.

1.jpg.47f0c5af0a72040272bf4a2b574ff9f4.jpg

The first one is from Terry's collection...looks like a Porter motor that has been modified for a geissler rotator.  (I already have the base holder casted and got plenty of Porter Motor so no need to draw them up)...just need the holders.

2.jpg.22933260b59590a39309416f6e29619f.jpg

These three are from my collection...will be drawing up in CAD/print/make the mold for casting.

3.thumb.jpg.881902434e5ea2dbd2ec2af1536a8174.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.46621428fa0988214715ce1256d6b138.jpg

20211218_073235.jpg

Edited by Louis Luu

1 minute ago, Jim Kovar said:

Mesmerizing too!  Thumbup.gif.eb37d1059640847502cc78e27b3d4f33.gif

These are easy to make and won't cost that much.  Only expense will be getting the tubes.  The tubes are still being made in Germany.

7 minutes ago, Jim Kovar said:

Mesmerizing too!  Thumbup.gif.eb37d1059640847502cc78e27b3d4f33.gif

Dang "auto-correction"
and "predictive text!"  Pissed.gif.4e6c5a6c7fd8639e7c5e683e5dd9b6a6.gif

Edited by Jim Kovar

1 hour ago, Roger Borg said:

Hi Louis-

Hope you've been well. This is super cool. I'm wondering what powers the bulb? Is it a HV field, or are they wired somehow to primary?

RUHMKORFF COIL.  Separate from the power to the motor.  Note the four separate terminal.  Two for the motor and the other two for the Geissler tube.

Noted re power supply.

What I didn't see is how the electric gets from the coil to the bulb.

Does it generate a field that wirelessly illuminates it, or is there a wired connection that I'm not observing?

That is a tad more tricky to explain...I had to take apart my tube holder completely.  There is actually full contact on each side of the tube.  The wires are hidden.

Ok, gotcha. There might be ways to illuminate it without wires directly to the bulb if so desired, but i am not completely sure the proximity from bulb to power supply required...