GE Charleston Green Replacement Anyone?

John Nyman

This is a continuation from a thread at the old site, but the long and short of it is that there isn't any Charleston Green paint available anywhere. I've got an early 20's 75423 brass bell brass blade loop handle that needs some color applied to it. Inside of the base shows that old green GE enamel which is super close to Charleston...but I can't find an analog color. I just shot it with a dark hunter green and it's waaaay too light so that's a bust. Has anyone seen anything recently that might be close enough or any place that has a stray can that's close to Virginia?

Hi John. Happy New Year! I have a can of Charleston green I can spare. I have your address as 114 Jackson Avenue, Elkton, VA. Is that correct?  I’ll send it out tomorrow by UPS my treat!

IMG_1253.thumb.JPG.46905ed884b5ccbb97614695d6267a9e.JPG

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 2

Just a carryover from the old site, I contacted Rustoleum about a month ago regarding Charleston Green . Here was there response:
Jamelia H (Rust-Oleum Product Support (US)) 
Dec 1, 2021, 12:20 PM CST 
Hello David,

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

We appreciate your interest in our Stops Rust Protective Enamel #214086. Unfortunately, this product is currently on back order with no fill date. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we experience some of the most challenging days we’ve had in the history of Rust-Oleum.

Like many manufacturers across the nation, we’ve been faced with extraordinary demand for our products, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Meeting that demand has been complicated by a shortage of raw materials and supply disruptions caused by major weather events, the surge of the Delta variant and logistical bottlenecks in the shipping industry.

That said, Rust-Oleum was founded on the principle of finding solutions for the toughest challenges. We’ve been navigating rough seas for more than 100 years and are confident we’re on track to meet and exceed our customers’ expectations in the coming months.

We value your business and are working hard to provide the quality products you expect and deserve.

Thanks for sticking with us!
Jamelia H
Rust-Oleum Product Support

Edited by Dave McManaman

David K, thank you deeply for your offer....I have never taken kindness like this very easily, some sort of character flaw...is there some way that I can repay you for this kindness? I need, at the very least to pay for the shipping as I think it has to go ground delivery which may not be cheap. I will PM you shortly...if I can figure out how with the new site configuration.

John:  I have been the recipient of much good will and generosity from so many that I am obligated at the very least to do this small thing. It's all boxed up and I'll get you UPS shipping tomorrow. How about a picture of the fan when you are done?

Had to use the old site to send the PM, for some reason this new site does not recognize me as a member perhaps?...better pay my 2022 dues asap. David M thank you for the depressing update...oye!

David Kilnapp, you are a gentleman of the finest kind sir and I am glad to have made your acquaintance. Keep well and I'll send you some photos of the end result...and maybe I'll learn some patience as well along the way. Best of everything to you and yours, sincerely, John

Well, 

i was going to start painting my Brass Bell today. However I see the Russ Huber post about dark Hunter green paint. 

I will look locally today.  It would be nice to use another color other than black. John, pay your dues, I would like to PM you

to send photos of how my project is going. And hoping you can do the same!

Happy New Year !

Malcolm MacGregor 

Well, my efforts paid off. I  searched  out the oldest hardware store here in the Treasure Coast of Florida and I found the Rustoleum Dark Hunter Green spray paint. So instead of painting my Brass Bell black, it will be Dark Hunter green.

i appreciate the tip on this paint from Russ Huber.

Happy New to All

Malcolm MacGregor

12 hours ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

Well, my efforts paid off. I  searched  out the oldest hardware store here in the Treasure Coast of Florida and I found the Rustoleum Dark Hunter Green spray paint. So instead of painting my Brass Bell black, it will be Dark Hunter green.

i appreciate the tip on this paint from Russ Huber.

Happy New to All

Malcolm MacGregor

Thanks for putting your faith in my post, But.......I simply posted another option used by others here in past posts, not my idea or recommendation. David Kilnapp has made a generous offer. John Fengel's last post has what appears to be a legit option to the off the market Rustoleum Charleston Green. Check the link below. Patience is a virtue.

True Value - XOP44 12 OZ Spray Charleston Green Interior/Exterior Professional X-O #TV125843 (idealtruevalue.com)

Edited by Russ Huber

Ok Russ,  I appreciate the clarification. Can you please clarify the paint color in your post?  What ever it is, it looks great and 

it has Encouraged me to not use black on the GE Brass Bell. 

Regards,  Malcolm 

1 hour ago, Malcolm MacGregor said:

Can you please clarify the paint color in your post?  What ever it is, it looks great and 

it has Encouraged me to not use black on the GE Brass Bell. 

Regards,  Malcolm 

???

This is how my base looks in Dark Hunter Green...it's not a bad color but it's much lighter then what I expected. I looked at the Professional XO Rust and it may be a good option but it is not available locally, I'll try to get some shipped for the heck of it but I fear the same results as before...out of stock/discontinued but we'll see. Meanwhile I'll wait for my kindly donated can of the original from Mr Kilnapp...I don't know how much paint a fan takes but if the can seems full enough I'll send it to you Malcolm. Sounds like a crazy idea, killing two fans with one can but I've done stranger things, and BTW I paid the dues last night and hope I'm in good graces now. Please PM me with your project Malcolm, I'll work some on mine tomorrow and do the same. Russ, your GE is a beauty, nice work!

greenfan.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Nyman said:

Russ, your GE is a beauty, nice work!

None of those are my restorations. I just shared past post images to help.

I have a can of the X/O Charleston, and tomorrow, or today depending how one looks at it.I stay up all night every night, but I don't start projects at 430AM.Anyway.I'll spray a test on something and compare with fan colors and report.I have GE fans fron early 20s to early 30s to compare.I'm  actually curious myself . I've had the can for a time,  but I've been working on black fans.Although  I discovered all blacks are not the same either.The early 20s Westinghouse in light is actually a dark gray green.I found that out when trying a touch up with pure black.For what thats worth.

I will be interested in your X/O Charleston green test results. Is it possible to compare it to other dark green colors?

Malcolm MacGregor 

Did not intend to jump the route on this post but had the colors , time and a broken housing ( that freezer stator removal is for another time)

Dark hunter green left

Pontypool ( japan black ) middle

Charleston green right.  significantly darker20220101_153522.thumb.jpg.1fcbda29b60639ab87979ca37d18c525.jpg20220101_153528.thumb.jpg.f4f706d0c7f8a4b48e0424ba749df47e.jpg20220101_153536.thumb.jpg.70979d8d18107d7e152e21308797bc82.jpg

• Like 1