My last project for 21 ( Deihl Pullman)

Bobby Gaines

I picked this little piece of history up at Stan's meet in Lake Houston. At some point it was made into a desk fan w/a 5/8" bent upward to attach the motor, it had the wrong blade and  wrong cage. It did run very will so thought I would try to bring back some of it's glory. I got a 9" blade from Nick Loos and fabricated a brass cage with help from Steve Stephens on the dimensions. I mounted one my cast Diehl Badges that I acquired from Louis Luu ( When I bought those badges sometime ago I new I would fine a fan for them) Darryl Hudson made me some brushes, caps, brass oil cups, terminal insulators and yoke bolts.

IMG_1963.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1968.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome work.  But just curious about 2 things.   How do you reduce the thickness of the S wire?  (I wondered once about using a threading tool and then cleaning up the treads).  And how do you drill dead center into the square back ring?   Seems like any bullet point drill bit would still wander, (for that matter, drilling a round back ring ... even harder).  

John I will do the best to answer you questions, but bear in mind that I'm a South TX Redneck especially when it comes to necking down the S wires.   I made a redneck  lathe with a guide on the end and a plastic insert in it to keep from damaging the rod. I put the S wires in the drill and they stuck out about 1/4" then held a file on them and check them . When better than I thought it would. 1/8" S wire to 3/32. The back ring is actually 3/16" square stock. Darryl Hudson turned me on to the center drill on one of my projects. I used an automatic center punch and just a dimple like in picture 4.

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

• Like 4

Bill,I have question for you. That back ring is 360 brass, it drill fine but I used Harris 45 on the butt connection it didn't flow like it does on 260 brass. What do you use if you don't mind me asking.  

If  you're talking to me, I use Radnor Safety-Silv 45. blue flux coated rod. I end drill the rings and pin them first, then solder thoroughly so that the solder wicks inside with the pins. The joint is stronger than the surrounding metal afterwards.

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Bill Dunlap
  • Like 1

Yes John it is a Hobby and I love it!  Being a member of this club has really made a difference. When I first jointed in 17 Will Guidry said in a post " I came for the fans, I stay for the people" . It didn't take long for me to realize Will was absolutely Right.     

• Like 1

Bob, i totally agree. The hunt, the resurrection, and the end result are great parts of this hobby. We attended fanfair last June, and met alot of very nice people. Everyone was very informative, helpful, and great conversation beyond the world of fans. I didn't feel like the newest member in the association. I have been a member since January of last year. Each time that i have asked for help or someones knowledge on the forum, there is always someone on the other end to help me. When i see a beautiful finished project such as yours, it pushes me to excell to the next level. True, it's not just the fans, it's the people.