Blade removal on a 1310

Jeff Jones

Does the blade unthread on am emerson 1310 the same as the usual ones?  Need to look at the centrifugal switch...something bad happened.  It wasn't starting on its own but would run with a manual spin.  When I test ran it yesterday after it got up to speed the switch make a clang noise then started clicking rather loudly. I shut it down immediately hoping nothing got too damaged. My guess is something let loose on the switch..maybe a spring or something. 

Yes, the blade unscrews the same as all single bearing Emersons.   Looking at the front of the motor the blade will unscrew the same direction the blade turns when running.

Got it.. I figured it out. Basically just pulled the whole rotor out carefully after undoing the screw on the back in the center. 

What I found though is discomforting...

One-half of the switch was flung into the windings...probably junk now right? 

Not to mention the springs are completely mangled which means I need new ones of those.  Any idea where or who might have them? If the windings are still good that is.  

20230528_161040.jpg

20230528_161052.jpg

20230528_161039.jpg

20230528_161036.jpg

20230528_161114.jpg

20230528_161108.jpg

• Sad 1

Reach out to Jerry Bravi. He has rebuild kits with springs, screws, washers. I've used the kit a couple times and they are perfect! Would love to see your 1310 all back together and running!

That's how my 1120 was when I got her-worse maybe... at least the four shallow-headed bolts are intact... are both washers sill on the two bolts that heat the flung contact? It should NOT be able to come off with the top washer in place!

Edited by Paul Michael

Yea I dunno how it came off...the top washers must be gone I guess there's only 1 set. The other side isn't much better got a bent bolt there and they're loose. 

They still have my account screwed up I guess from the switchover...its saying I can't send messages.  Can someone tag Jerri here so I can get a kit ordered?  

Jeff,

I happened to see your post and photos on your 1300 Emerson.  It looks like you'll need the complete centrifugal switch kit that I make and possibly a new set of weights.  I charge $75.00 for the complete kit including springs and $60.00 for a set of weights if needed plus $8.00 shipping. 

Thanks, Jerry Bravi

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerry Bravi said:

Jeff,

I happened to see your post and photos on your 1300 Emerson.  It looks like you'll need the complete centrifugal switch kit that I make and possibly a new set of weights.  I charge $75.00 for the complete kit including springs and $60.00 for a set of weights if needed plus $8.00 shipping. 

Thanks, Jerry Bravi

How do I get in touch with you to order?  Do you think the weights are bad too? Not sure how I would tell?

Jeff, not to step on anybody's toes, but would you mind removing the Emerson centrifugal switch parts sans springs that were integral with your rotor and take a picture of the grouping? If you have already took steps forward with Jerri Bravi,  please disregard this message. If not, I am just curious of what parts you have left of the rotor centrifugal parts sans springs still on the rotor and dispersed in the back of the housing. 

fans 1 5251.jpg

• Like 1

I'm pretty ignorant on this subject but have a question. Does anyone make the portion of the switch with the brass collar that attaches to the back of the motor housing?

Jeff, I was going to send you a set of springs(correct tension, just need to be cut to size) and one correct screw if you can't straighten out you bent one for free. You have both brass sliding contacts, but I don't know how worn they are. It "appears" you have all 4 brass spacers, it appears Jerry offers just the fiber washers alone. 

IMG_4000.JPG

20230528_161114.thumb.jpg.3837c3e88f406096667efa268def06e5 (1).jpg

20230528_161036.thumb.jpg.7fbc3e10a31a37aea927f1e9825a7499.jpg

81440_101204_190000000.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Ron May came up with a neat concept in the past machining Delrin to eliminate the the top fiber washer and three smaller washers the contacts ride on.

2010starterparts.JPG

2010starterafter.JPG

• Like 1

BTW........those springs I posted above for free were sent to me by none other than the one and only Mr. Ron Jeter. 🙂

RonJ'smiraclespring1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Hey Russ,

Let me get some additional pics once I disassemble what's on the rotor.  I'm not sure yet if everything else is there.. if so I'll definitely take you up on that offer as the fan was quite pricey and if I can save some here that'd be great.  But if I'm missing parts then I'll have to get the whole kit. 

I just moved it down to the workshop and will be disassembling more shortly. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Jones said:

Hey Russ,

Let me get some additional pics once I disassemble what's on the rotor.  I'm not sure yet if everything else is there.. if so I'll definitely take you up on that offer as the fan was quite pricey and if I can save some here that'd be great.  But if I'm missing parts then I'll have to get the whole kit. 

I just moved it down to the workshop and will be disassembling more shortly. 

Jerri Bravi does Johnny on the spot work. I have purchased Emerson detent bottom covers (Plural), they ALL were perfect. 

If you have all the parts there, take them out, clean them up, and post an image of them. Let's check those sliding brass contacts for wear. Maybe you can cut some corners. 🙂

Jeff, I’ll send you the larger fiber washers on the cent switch bolts. I don’t have the little ones but you can slice a nylon spacer like I do. You can get the spacers at the local hardware store. Take one of the little fiber washers in there and compare OD and ID. I buy 1” long ones and slice with a utility knife. 

I did an article in the mag about 4 years ago. 

So this is what I've got to work with.  Defintiely 2 bad bolts and several missing washers in addition to the springs.  The. Brass bushings and plates look ok though to me...but will let someone with more experience chime in on that.

As far as the other piece inside the back of the housing...its got the usual groove in it like the tanks get but it's not worn all the way through anywhere as best as I can tell without removing it. 

20230529_224537.jpg

20230529_224620.jpg

20230529_224618.jpg

20230529_224605.jpg

20230529_224603.jpg

20230529_224558.jpg

20230529_224556.jpg

20230529_224644.jpg

20230529_224627.jpg

I put the rotor back in sans the switch and tested it with a manual start and it seems to still run ok.  

I do still have something touching the case somewhere though or a bad winding or something because on the megger it shows 0.  But i haven't started isolating things yet...hoping it's just something touching and not the stator itself. 

Your brass sliding contacts look fine to me.  Your brass spacers are all there and look healthy.

Jerry left his contact information. His fiber washer set ADVERTISED above is the closest to factory original I am aware of being offered through anyone, or the vendors here.  Based on the condition of those screws, you are going to need more than one. I just have a few spares, if you would of just needed one, I could part with one.

Contact Jerry and ask him what kind of a deal he could offer you for the fiber washer set and screws/posts you feel needed?

I'll pick out a real nice set of springs for you on the house if you want them. Message me your address please. You will have to cut them to size and with a small needle nose form a new loop on the cut end and they are ready to do their magic. 

Welp I guess the start winding is shot too... cleaned everything up and rebuilt the switch tonight with Jerry's kit and still no joy. It will not start on its own or even attempt to. 

Also am I supposed to use thread locker on those bolts? 2 of them are basically loose at the point where the weight can slide freely.  They will likely back out after a short while.  The other 2 seemed to get snug at after a few turns and have some resistance to them like they aren't tight tight but don't feel like they're going to back right out from use either. 

20230604_235313.jpg

20230604_235320.jpg

20230604_235336.jpg

20230605_001537.jpg

20230605_001542.jpg

FWIW....Whether or not this comforts your or not, you have a 1310. That in itself is worthy of a rewind, if necessary. Good luck.

Did you insert the tiny spacers that fit into the slots of the switch plates? They get sandwiched between the wider washers shown. If they are missing there is a dead short to the rotor and therefore the chassis.