Parts help for first 1930s GE desk fan

Jimmy Reed

Hey guys. I’m new to this hobby and this is my first project. I need parts help. Need a knife switch for GE 75423 Form ANI. Coil is fine but about half the insulating material is missing from exposed portion of switch lever. 
are there aftermarket parts available? Or should I be looking for an old one. If so, does anyone have a good connection to get x replacement. Or maybe someone knows how to repair the one I have. Any help will be appreciated. 

Post some pics.   Someone will perk up.   

Not sure if some parts are interchangeable or not, but I have a 1930 AK1/AOU parts fan in case some will work.  

Here are some pics of the coil. Thank you!! I’m super excited about this project. I’ve always loved old desk fans. Even bought a few, but never attempted to repair or restore one. Bought this one and was given a couple of others all GEs, able to piece together. Just need this last part! 

IMG_5609.jpeg

IMG_5610.jpeg

IMG_5611.jpeg

Thanks guys. Not much of a sculptor but I love this fan and that may be my motivation! I’ll take pic of how it turns out. 

Considering it’s there for insulation, I would think about trying the plastic parts dip you would use for hand tool handles.   Multiple dips would probably build up enough thickness.   

18 hours ago, John Landstrom said:

Considering it’s there for insulation, I would think about trying the plastic parts dip you would use for hand tool handles.   Multiple dips would probably build up enough thickness.   

JB is a better solution and will look factory if care is taken. I’ve fixed many that way. It insulates fine. I prefer the slow cure version. 

5 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

JB is a better solution and will look factory if care is taken. I’ve fixed many that way. It insulates fine. I prefer the slow cure version. 

Lane, 

I have little experience with JB weld, other than trying to use it to fix a gearbox (which didn’t work).  What I noticed was it came out gray.

How do you make it black like the original ?

3 hours ago, John Landstrom said:

Lane, 

I have little experience with JB weld, other than trying to use it to fix a gearbox (which didn’t work).  What I noticed was it came out gray.

How do you make it black like the original ?

I just paint the insulating tip after it’s sanded to the right profile.  I use a flat black hobby paint, then usually a matte clear over it.  Seth Anderson makes perfect 3d printed replacements, but due to the curve on those later loophandles a replacement can’t slide on.  

Ok guys. Great advice! It’s not perfect but I’m pleased with how it turned out. Also I’m actually a member but not exactly sure how to change my status. And I guess it’s ok. You guys treated my problem as if it was serious and mattered to you. If this is the way you treat guest y’all are a great bunch. Thanks again! Here’s the pics of the upgrade with my limited skill setIMG_5614.thumb.jpeg.7cf8c302a8f062c118ec3998c23f38e2.jpegIMG_5614.thumb.jpeg.7cf8c302a8f062c118ec3998c23f38e2.jpeg

IMG_5615.jpeg

IMG_5616.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Daniel OToole said:

If not Seth Anderson can make you a 3d printed perfect one

As I mentioned, I believe he only makes the covers for the straight switch levers where they can be glued and slipped on.  This type would have to be made in 2 pieces due to the “s” bend on the end of the tip.