1940-41 12” vortalex

Jason Stever

Hi all. I’m having a time with this 3 blade 2 speed Vortalex. Last year the blade started making a ticking noise on low speed and I tracked it down to the possibility of the two riveted surfaces flexing against each other during operation. Sprayed a Little dw40 between the edges of the two surfaces and it stopped. Fast forward to now, all of a sudden it’s super chattery. If I rapidly twist the fan side to side it stops, but as soon as I stop twisting it back and forth it resumes. If I spray more wd40 in it it will stop but to only start rattling again after a days use and now on both speeds. Is this a common issue? I’ve tried pounding the rivets tight to no avail. Fan runs great other then that. 😞 I don’t believe it’s a bearing issue. maybe I need to find a new blade? 

post up a video, is your cage badge tight? have you taken apart the fan & lubed all moving pooints usch as the stem to mounting area?  there are many areas that can make noiseon these fans

34 minutes ago, Lawrence Smith said:

post up a video, is your cage badge tight? have you taken apart the fan & lubed all moving pooints usch as the stem to mounting area?  there are many areas that can make noiseon these fans

Yep everything is lubed and tight. Taken apart , cleaned and greased. It’s definitely coming from the blades. I’ll post up a video later today for ya. 

Take the blade off & flex each one while holding the hub steady. That will tell you which blade is loose .( if that’s the issue) ck the cage badge , also your blade is not seated ( it sticks too far out of the front case) 

6 hours ago, Lawrence Smith said:

Take the blade off & flex each one while holding the hub steady. That will tell you which blade is loose .( if that’s the issue) ck the cage badge , also your blade is not seated ( it sticks too far out of the front case) 

Blade is seated on the flat spot on the shaft if that is what you mean. I can scoot it back some on the shaft if that’s an issue?. If you actually shim the shaft back any further it will rub on the back of the case. Shims are factory and moving them messes with the alignment of the worm gear. 3 in the front and 3 in the back as per the schematic. Also, Badge is not loose and the fan Makes noise without cage on. Also I have done the bend test to see which blade is loose and none of them move. I took blade off last night and soaked it in soap and hot water to remove the wd40 since that wasn’t working anymore and tada, the noise is gone. With that said, I’ll let ya know when it comes back, if it does. 

6 hours ago, Lawrence Smith said:

Thank you though for the suggestion!