I made the big time!

George Durbin

Good news! I am in the big time now! Royalty actually!
I made the back page of the second section of the Carroll County Comet!! 😅🤣😂
And I was not in the police arrest report "this week" and I was not in the obits either! So I got that going for me!!

20230531_124908.jpg

Edited by George Durbin
  • Like 11

Law enforcement facial
recognition programs are
running...

face-recognition.gif.efb910197405b6f744b5dc153e232271.gif

Be ready, George (if that
is your real name? wondering.gif.99436fb5cb159a2d06d2eb4bda595538.gif),...
they're going to SWAT
your house.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Thomas Peters said:

Way to go.

Congratulations!

By the way, did you check at the p.o. for your picture?

Hahah! I have not checked the FBI top ten list today... So ya never know...

Just now, Jim Kovar said:

Law enforcement facial
recognition programs are
running...

they're going to SWAT
your house.

My name is "Bit Coin"😊

9 minutes ago, Jim Kovar said:

Law enforcement facial
recognition programs are
running...

they're going to SWAT
your house.

It says 'No Gender'—I think he's gonna squeeze through this dragnet! 😉

31 minutes ago, Jim Kovar said:

Screenshot_20230531-130118_Chrome.thumb.jpg.61deffeb739e77f90141beb4338b19f1.jpg

Have to be a $ubscriber
to get the rest of the story.

In the days before air-conditioning finding ways to cool air was big business.  Some variation of the electric fan was a staple in most households and businesses.  Today, more than one hundred twenty years after the first fans were mass produced, antique fans still have an important place in collections all over the world.  Cutler native George “Rocky” Durbin will display a portion of his growing antique fan collection at the Flora Depot Railroad and Local History Museum on Saturdays in June and July, starting June 3.  Museum hours are 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.  The public is also invited to a preview event Thursday, June 1 from 4:30 to 7:00 p.m.   (FOOD TRUCK) will be on hand for carryout dinners.

Every serious collector can tell you when they became hooked on their area of interest.  For Durbin, it happened while visiting friends in Katy, Texas sometime around 2012.   In a small antique store he saw a 16” Emerson, a shiny brass-bladed fan.  “I flipped the blade and it was like being hypnotized!” he states.  That was the beginning.  He started researching his find and discovered the Antique Fan Collectors Association.  In the AFCA  he found a “great group” of fan collectors from all over the world. He joined, first serving on the Board of Directors, and then as Vice President for the last several years.
The AFCA has more than seven hundred members.  Through AFCA Durbin has met collectors who own fans worth $60,000 or more (“I don’t have one of those!”, he says), people with amazing restoration skills, and collectors who are only interested in certain eras of fan design.  “Pre-WWII there were over four hundred fan companies.  Post-WWII there were only thirty because factories were changed to help supply war efforts.  Some people try to acquire a fan from each company, but the older ones are hard to find.”  He states the first mass produced fans were made around 1882. Durbin’s oldest fan is an 1896 Tesla.

Just down the road from Carroll County in Zionsville, Indiana is 

• Like 1