GE 2-Star Restoration

Shawn Sass

Well.... Let's try this again. My first attempt was deleted since I didn't use my real name when I signed up. Which is really an infosec nightmare. Ever heard of Phishing? Anyway, on to the topic at hand:

I thought I'd post my first topic on the new forum as a consolidation of all the info I've received on the old forum and include an update on my progress.

The fan I'm restoring is a GE with the following motor tag info:

Alternating current fan motor

No. 1444241

Cat. 75423

Type AO

Form T1

Volts 110

Cyc 60

Pat. Feb 6, 1906

General electric co USA

I've been told the cage and brass blades are incorrect, as well as the brass bell on the bottom of the oscillator, but this is how it was when I acquired it from my grandpa, so I'll just keep it as-is and refresh it. So far, I've acquired these restoration parts from the good folks on this forum:

oil wick

new rubber feet

antique fabric-wrapped electric cord and period correct plugs

I've also blasted and primered all the painted parts. Now I need to find a good green color to match what is on the bottom plate, polish some brass hardware and start re-assembly. Here are some pictures of the fan before disassembly as well as current state. Don't mind the messy work bench!

Also want to include this for future reference. Thanks @Steve Rockwell:

https://cdm16694.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p16694coll20/id/14717/rec/203

Steve's original post:

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.01.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.01.32 PM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doug Wendel said:

It would be soo sweet if we could just order replacements parts from the page you posted (especially at those prices).  

Wouldn't that be awesome!?? It would be great if someone stumbled upon a barn or old closed down general store with a bunch of NOS parts. I'm happy to just see all the original parts though... super helpful. 

• Like 1

Looks like you've made a good start on the restoration. Thanks for posting pictures as the restoration of your grandpa's fan is completed. That GE is a good solid fan and will run well for a hundred years after the resto is complete.

Several members worked on some GE green replacement colors a few weeks ago...to my eye your bottom color is very close to the XOP44 Charleston Green Professional X-O. Others may chime in, and lighting changes everything but this is my guess.