12 inch Bandy all British antique fan

Bill Dunlap

That is very nice.   I have the same fan but have not cracked it open yet.    The nuts that hold the motor together are in a tight little pocket and I need a thin wall socket to get to them.   Did you have the same issue?

5 hours ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

That is very nice.   I have the same fan but have not cracked it open yet.    The nuts that hold the motor together are in a tight little pocket and I need a thin wall socket to get to them.   Did you have the same issue?

You can grind or lathe the outside diameter of the socket to fit. 

or, thin-wall Snap-on may fit. 

Interesting.    Mine has 4 bolts.   Also. The badge on mine is toast.  Nice to see your badge.  Is that a repop or original?

20211006_161429.jpg

20211006_161441.jpg

20211006_161421.jpg

• Like 1

Your fan has a lot of similarities to mine. One thing of note is that yours is an induction motor, while mine is a brushed AC/DC motor. As far as the badge is concerned, I took a photo of what was left of mine, put it on Paint.net program and painstakingly over a period of about 8 hours, restored the image back to the condition you see it. I then printed it on ordinary paper, put clear tape on both sides and cut it out. I lacquered it to the badge, then clear lacquered over that. ideally, I would like to have a water transfer made which would look even more original.

I wonder if Moe has one of these?😀

Very nice work on the restoration. I really like the shape of the castings, the large rear opening would make me think the motor runs cool to the touch? Also, I am curious about running 200+ volt fans on 120, I have a few, and I did buy a transformer, but have yet to put it to use.

P.S. Congratulations on posting the first video on the new forum!

Edited by Richard Daugird

I install bridge rectifiers in these fans which makes them run smoother and also lets them run on 120 volts, although a bit slower.  Most of the 240 volt fans I've had here won't run at all on straight 120VAC. Once the rectifier is installed, they will run. It makes them universal, too. AC or DC doesn't matter anymore.

Also, I've ordered printable water slide decal paper for inkjet printers. I'll give a go at making water slide decals and my first one will be a Bandy badge decal.

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Bill Dunlap
  • Like 1

The water transfer printer paper came in today and I got around to trying it this evening. The results are better than I could have hoped for.

If there is anyone who is in need of a Bandy transfer for their fan, I'm your guy. I'll drop one in the mail for a couple of bucks.

Cheers,

Bill

019.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...