PAYPAL BUYERS PROTECTION

Roger Borg

Has anyone ever bought a fan (or other antique) from a stranger and had to make use of Paypal's buyer protection fraud or damage refund features?

Have been speaking with someone about a fan, and something isn't sitting quite right, but I wonder what I have to lose if paypal has all these protections and commitment to refund. Do they work as advertised? Any insight or firsthand experience / stories would be appreciated. 

Feel free to PM also if you don't want it public.

Thanks...

PayPal prefers buyers & sellers to work things out . . . the DON'T want negative or neutral feedback!!

SO between PayPal and UPS, USPS, I have only had one or 2 partial refunds . . . they make it hard on purpose. 

I have had better success communicating with sellers directly and getting a full/partial refund and always keeping what's left.

No doubt abuse cuts both ways!! It's a game of trust at the end of the day. I have been swindled by AFCA members as well, - - - just move on, say nothing and hope the rotten apples will finally spoil.

By contacting a seller the day an item arrived with damage due to their inadequate packing method (and I sent pics) I was reimbursed 40% of the purchase price by the seller.

The comment “they don’t want negative feedback” is true for reputable sellers.   

Guess I’m lucky.   I’ve only had the one bad experience. 

Once, I bought something on epay, said item was damaged and I had the option of pursuing coverage through PayPal or epay.

I first contacted PayPal. The representative spoke as if she were more interested in replacement or repair cost rather than reimbursement of money I paid for said item.

I then contacted epay, who offered reimbursement of money I paid. No questions asked.

I went with epay.

My situation is NOT through Ebay, it's a craigslist listing.

So any buyer protection would be through Paypal only. I don't have the backstop of ebay.

Damage aside, I'm concerned about paying but the item not shipping, ie outright fraud or scam...

From a legal perspective, I don’t think PayPal offers much protection. I wouldn’t give more than I’d be willing to set on fire and walk away from. 

On 11/30/2023 at 7:31 PM, Roger Borg said:

Has anyone ever bought a fan (or other antique) from a stranger and had to make use of Paypal's buyer protection fraud or damage refund features?

Have been speaking with someone about a fan, and something isn't sitting quite right, but I wonder what I have to lose if paypal has all these protections and commitment to refund. Do they work as advertised? Any insight or firsthand experience / stories would be appreciated. 

Feel free to PM also if you don't want it public.

Thanks...

This sounds like a seller I recently experienced from australia.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Roger Borg said:

My situation is NOT through Ebay, it's a craigslist listing.  I'm concerned about paying but the item not shipping, is outright fraud or scam...

14 hours ago, Kim Frank said:

Trust your gut feeling.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, but in light of recent events it needs to be brought up again. PayPal buyer protection is a very dangerous double-edged sword. It seems that  potential scammers posing as buyers know that PayPal almost always sides with the buyer, when there is any type of dispute. Scammers posing as sellers also know that sending any type of tracking will often prevent buyers from making a claim; regardless of what was shipped. This has many moving parts which can be leveraged to allow scams to work both ways. It gets even more complex when insurance is involved.  Bottom line is this, never use PayPal for anything other than buying from an established online shop; and never use PayPal for transactions you can't afford to lose if things go sideways. It is a shame but in this world one has to be very cautious. You never know who your friends really are, and never know who will be favored by PayPal, nor other members of the fan collecting community. When money gets involved, people can change in an instant.

Sincerely,
David 

• Like 3

David, thanks for bringing this to light of recent events. I made a purchase through PayPal of $10,300 for two fans from a VERY dishonest seller. It took two and a half months to receive the Damaged fans,  he used every excuse under the sun,  PayPal holds funds for 21 days, I changed jobs, it's my off week of pay, I went on a fishing trip to the outback all while I'm waiting on my paid for  goods, finally he sent ONE fan, not two, as promised When I asked about the second fan,  his response was he wanted to make sure it went through. ???? It took another 4 weeks to send second fan.I told him I was going to Florida for four months and wanted my other fan before I left for Florida, I even built in a extra week. It didn't arrive before we left, I m sure by design. I had someone taking my mail  to open packaging,  Damage was discovered. When I contacted the seller he said That fan was free, because of original price was $14,500 before negotiating.  WHAT???    I then made a PayPal claim,  then he threatened me with sending all correspondence to PayPal.  GOOD FINALLY. Then I got PayPal 's response, IN MY FAVOR WITH REFUND. And they kicked him off PayPal. Then the seller tells me that PayPal advised him to tell me to send ALL money back and he would send a small amount to repair fans,  TOTAL LIE.  THEN SOME MEMBERS OF AFCA POSTED MY PHONE NUMBER, ADDRESS on fake book with only one side of story. REALLY????    I DO NOT,  AND WILL NOT DO FACEBOOK FOR ANY REASON. IMO fakebook Is a good place for FAKES AND COWARDS TO SPREAD LIES AND DESEPTION,  NOT ALL BUT SOME.  That has since been corrected ,THANK YOU STEVE. And while this was going on, afca bimonthly MAG highlighted his father life and i asked him if he seen the MAG he replied he was not a member,  So I sent my copy to him out of kindness.  When this all went down I asked if he received the MAG, his response was for me to mind my own business and leave his father out of this. really??????.  Sorry for my response going in so many directions. BUT ALL TRUTH AND FACTS.   

I WILL FINISH DEALING WITH THIS WHEN I RETURN HOME IN APRIL. 

Screenshot_20231225_163921_Gmail.jpg

IMG_20231218_154220.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Robert Grove
Forgot pictures
  • Sad 1

the words you may qualify for purchase protection bother's me. that sounds like a way to get out of paying. that's just my opinion I have no first hand knowledge.

19 hours ago, Robert Grove said:

David, thanks for bringing this to light of recent events.

Yes, our group has many good people here. It is important for members to see both sides to any concerns which arise. I disagree with the routine deletion of postings here and from our Facebook group which expose any member conflicts. This is going to happen in any organization of this size. When bits and pieces are shown briefly and deleted, it leads to people making up their own minds about things; right or wrong.  I am not taking sides in this; but I do feel a bit disappointed. The seller reached out to me after losing his father; asking where to list his father's fan collection for sale. I recommended he share them here. Again, I am not taking sides in this but I sort of wish I hadn't encouraged him to post here. 

• Thanks 1