8" GE Quiet Blade - Oscillator help . . .

Doug Edmunds

I recently acquired a little GE Quite Blade.  It was in decent aged condition with a rotted cord.  Started to strip it down and began to add new power cord. It's a single speed and the switch sticks a bit.  My question is regarding the oscillator.  I cannot get it to function.  The fan motor spins but not oscillating.  I cleaned out the decades of caked in old grease and packed with some "red & tacky".  I gave the oil cup some new blue label 3 n 1 oil too.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

GE.jpg

GE2.jpg

GE3.jpg

The oscillator wheel on the bottom looks as if it slipping off the post.   If so then that could create an angle with the arm to the motor and stop it from oscillating.   The very small oscillating assembly does not have much oomph so even a little resistance would stop it.    

2 hours ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

The oscillator wheel on the bottom looks as if it slipping off the post.   If so then that could create an angle with the arm to the motor and stop it from oscillating.   The very small oscillating assembly does not have much oomph so even a little resistance would stop it.    

OK.  I will take a look at trying to adjust that.  Thank you.

I pulled the oscillator cover off and viewed it while running.  The gears are all engaging but not getting any rotation down below at the oscillator wheel.  Is this a common issue?  Is there possibly a broken part that is not transferring the rotation to the wheel?  Not sure how to pull this apart to explore further.  Up for suggestions...

Anthony is correct, a couple of more things, your oscillator wheel might be stripped out-- meaning when you push it up it does not engage the shaft with the friction fit needed. this can be fix & a simple piece of tape around the shaft should get you tested. The knob on the top of the cover needs to be engaged for the oscillator to function, clean the grease you have off of the small gear & disc inside the box, put the cover on & tighten-- you oscillator should now function. 

I would take the oscillator arm loose & test with out it hooked up. Also how easily does your fan swivel back & forth ? there should be minimal resistance. thee are fun little units.  

I can't send a video on this new forum.  I heard about the washer from Steve Sherwood.  There appears to be something like a washer on top of the gear.  Are you on FB?  I can send a video clip.

1 hour ago, Doug Edmunds said:

I can't send a video on this new forum.  I heard about the washer from Steve Sherwood.  There appears to be something like a washer on top of the gear.  Are you on FB?  I can send a video clip.

Yes I am

5 minutes ago, Doug Edmunds said:

I see 4 people with the same name.  Where do you live?

Same person different accounts. Tried to delete but didn't work Haha. I'm from Ohio

I saw your video. on FB.

2 minutes ago, Vic Valencheck said:

Same person different accounts. Tried to delete but didn't work Haha. I'm from Ohio

I saw your video. on FB.

OK good.  There appears to be a pressed on washer on top of the gear.  It is independent of the gear but will not lift off.  Should there be another washer on top of that?