1920 Century ceiling fan wiring diagram

Greg Kackstetter

i’m trying to restore a 1920, Century ceiling fan. The wires were badly frayed so I did not want to even try it to connect it to Power. Some of the wires were disconnected and just laying inside. It is apparently missing the three speed switch at the bottom of the unit also. I would like to purchase one if available! If someone could explain to me how to add pictures I could send those also. I contacted Texas Ceiling Fans, he did not have a wiring diagram,and he is the one that told me I was missing the three speed switch and the connecting rod and to hook it to a choke coil,

but I have no idea what that is, I’m a first timer! Oh please help! Sorry for the crazy format but I was tapping on different things to see if I can find a way to add pictures. Thanks for any help!

When you click the box to type, there is a paperclip icon that says "Drag files here to attach, or choose files...". Click choose files and select the pictures you want to add.

Thank you both for your help!  I replaced all the old wires exactly as they were. The 2 wires with the grey wire nuts were not connected to anything, taped up and laying inside. The ends were twisted in a circle and it looked like they at one time we’re hooked up to the porcelain block, that’s what I don’t know.  Al the wires were black before, I used back and white for easier identification . So obviously, the two wires coming in from the top going to the porcelain block is for power. Then I have two wires that go down through the middle and out the bottom. What are these for? I was told they went to the 3 way switch. I’m confused!  Thanks again for your help! 

OK, your switch is gone. It's been awhile since I've worked on one of these so I don't remember the porcelain block, but I think it's just a terminal point. If you're not going to put a light on the fan, then there's no reason to run wires down the shaft. You can just splice directly into the 2 wires coming from the stator. 

White and black to the two wires from the stator, up and out and put the fan on a speed control in the wall.

Just thought I’d add this pic of my model number, was finally able to get it clean enough to see! Thank you both for your help. So do you actually put oil in the lower cup that’s pictured in the eBay add? What are the 4 brass screws for at the  bottom of the cup, adding lights? Thanks!

6C7B035F-F17B-4C24-826E-83C7CFF7D4B6.jpeg

The brass screws are for a lightolier. Yes you put oil in the lower pan. The neat thing on a Century, you can unscrew the switch rod & remove the oil cup with the fan hanging.

• Like 2

First, Thanks Andrew, I was able to attach the wire from the stator to power and it does work! Now I need to figure out how to change speeds if that’s possible.        Hello Stan, thanks for you help. You mentioned the switch rod, I think that’s what I’m missing if it comes out the bottom. Do you have a picture of what it looks like? This picture shows all I’ve got at the bottom. Thanks for your help!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Greg, looking at your photos I don't see a switch. Like Andrew was saying, the switch is a the top of the motor & there is a long rod which screws into it & sticks through that nose hole where the two wires are. Your best bet is to get a modern wall speed control.

Thanks Stan. If I buy a modern switch and put it up in there, I’ve seen some online with a long chain, could I just drop that down through the bottom to switch off and on?  Is this just a single speed fan, or can that be controlled with a modern switch? Thanks again! 

Can you suggest a fan switch that might work for my fan? It runs on low speed only. Do you have a pic of what a choke coil is or what the switch looks like? I contacted the 85 year old friend I got the fan from, it was in her Dads store and removed during the sixties . She said she would look through the boxes of all things she has of his but she would like to know what she’s looking for! Thanks again for your help!

I don't think you have a coil in your fan so it can't be running on low. They aren't high RPM, like 260 or so. 

I'd just buy a wall speed switch and control it from there. 

Hi Andrew, tried to send you a PM about the switch , but site won’t let me send message. It sez 0 messages allowed to send ,try again later. Help