FIDELITY fan

Steven P Dempsey

Got this today, super well packed - - just a light cleaning with WD-40 so far - 

Front Oiler is missing, they look just like GE. I may have one, but may need one.

Fidelity Front.jpg

• Like 2

Didn't have a shipping problem with that one did you. That is because that one could roll around in an empty box at take a lickin and keep tickin. Fact Jack. 🙂

I just taped up that roached cord & this beast fired right up!! he blade is in perfect balance - - That is the rear oiler that is missing, oops.

I love the way Fidelity took so much care in making things fit with precision, like the motor fitting into the trunnion so there is less than an inch of gap on each side!  The one I've got fits the same way.  I put a washer on both sides to tighten up the gaps.  But you can't argue about them making fans that just plain worked well and obviously lasted a long time.IMG_5468.thumb.JPG.08806e43446f804b3bb1f0d4e95a7f1f.JPG

Edited by Jim Humphrey
left out a word

Hi Jim. It appears that I have a similar if not identical Fidelity to yours. I always wondered if mine had been altered since it the base and the yoke are not independent (no ability to swivel) but seem to be welded somewhat sloppily together. I was advised by the seller (don't recall who that was) that this Fidelity dated to 1915. Is that your understanding?  That's a reproduction Colman deflector mounted on my Fidelity.

IMG_1359.thumb.JPG.1f28172b6dccc47d92e2d21576def106.JPG

Hi David,

I think our fans are probably the same model, but it looks like yours has a slightly different data plate with an ear on each end, while mine is just a rectangle.  Mine is S/N 107845, yours?  Mine also has the sloppy welded joint from the base to the trunnion.  Probably difficult to get a grinder into that area, so they just left it raw.  Fidelity didn't waste any time on cosmetics!  As regards the date of these fans, I've got a date of 1912 shown on my fan listing, it says "date estimate made from smooth base introduced in 1912".  I made that note in 2014 when I got the fan, and I have no idea now what the heck it means exactly, and where I dredged up the info in the first place.  If it's correct, that still doesn't disallow that production ran through 1915 though.  And that Coleman deflector is really cool, functional and it makes the fan pop!

Jim

I see the back oiler is like a GE Cake, 2 parts with the threaded part going into the bearing is narrow, just allowing the wick to pass through -that is what I am missing, the rear oiler. Can't take photos at this time, phone dead.