Thankful for this hobby

John Deats

I woke up this morning by my sump pump in the basement. I thought the ball might have been stuck. Was I wrong. With rapid snow melt and steady rain, my pump was working overtime. Nonstop. After an hour in the basement, I came up for a much needed cup of coffee. My wife suggested using my fans to help with whatever. I went back into the basement,looked at the situation, I came up with a great idea. I could use my fans to help with this mess. So I brought out the big guns. Three 16 inchers, two 12 inchers and one 10 inch. After moving everything, wiping and cleaning, i put all the fans to work drying the floor and walls. When most all was dry, i lifted the indoor/outdoor carpeting and began drying that with the fans. The cleaning and drying continues, as does the snow melt and rain. Well, the sump pump is starting to run steady again, so downstairs i go. So thankful for this hobby !!!

20240126_090115.jpg

20240126_090116.jpg

20240126_114426.jpg

20240126_114421.jpg

• Like 4

Glad you are able to use those fans for their intended purpose and you are getting that water under control!

I'm so thankful we are on high ground during this melt.  But I've got a 73648 that gets put to good use when our washing machine over flows the deep sink and also when we have big blankets to dry out.  Looking forward to better weather so we can open up the windows and start using fans to move nice fresh Spring air throughout the house!

• Like 1

AMEN TO OPEN WINDOWS AND FANS BRINGING IN SOME FRESH AIR... I AM SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MESS , I HAVE HAD A WET BASEMENT FOR ALMOST A MONTH ON AND OFF AND TWO SUMP PUMPS GOING . I HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH ANY FANS THOUGH SO  DONT EXTINGUISH A PILOT LIGHT ON THE FURNACE OR HOT WATER HEATER ... GOOD LUCK WITH THE MELT ! 

• Like 2

Nice. It'll help a lot. In NWI, we got killed with 26" of snow before the warm up. Deep freeze before that. I've had a fan going and a dehumidifier in basement all week. I had to snow blow the back and side of the house. Grass underneath. It gives the water somewhere to go. Dog found it useful too. So far so good, no moisture. Lots of work though.....

• Like 1

All of us can agree. Water in the basement isn't the end of the world,  but it is a pain in the neck. The rug is up with three fans blowing on it. Two other fans blowing the floors dry. One good thing is that my shop and collection are on the other side of the basement, so this could have been alot uglier than it turned out. Watching those big guns running is pretty cool.

• Like 1

What a bummer. I suppose it could have been worse.  That’s never a fun day! 

BUT…next time you buy a fan or 5, maybe your wife won’t balk as much!  😉

A lot of people collect a lot of different things, but at least the antique fans we collect are useful. Most of my other antiques are far less practical. 

Edited by Lane Shirey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had those moments where my parents agree for once that my fans are useful lol. 

• Like 2