Unusual Cast strut TANK looking for info

Lawrence Smith

I have an R&m tank ( westy  style) it has cast tapered style struts on it.
Does anyone know what fan they came from?

The cage is a later steel R&m ( incorrect) .A tank cage does not fit .

By the way An Emerson brass cage fits perfectly. Inside diameter is correct. Paul cannot recall this type of strut. 

This is how I acquired the fan , no other info is available.  Thanks  for assistance 

2nd pic has the tapered strut on the left, right side is a normal tank strut 

DBE198A7-5627-43AE-8F3A-57B78D413B0D.jpeg

DF31710F-5DFB-4A6C-8DF9-A2C04EEE8BA6.jpeg

70E70927-CF9F-43F2-B2DF-963643F9BEE8.jpeg

Edited by Lawrence Smith

• Lawrence Smith changed the title to Unusual Cast strut TANK looking for info

Lawrence, I have the same R&M fan with the same 107988 style number.   As you said the cage on yours is incorrect which it true; it looks like a late 20s stamped steel R&M cage.  The correct cage would be a Westy tank type one with a solid center ring and the large R&M flag badge.   I believe your fan is a 1908 model and the first of the R&M rebadged Westy fans.  These are my favorite Westy tank style fans.

Is there a chance that’s a small motor first year tank? Maybe they’re the right struts? I’ve never had one of the small motors, but maybe? 

6 hours ago, Lane Shirey said:

Is there a chance that’s a small motor first year tank? Maybe they’re the right struts? I’ve never had one of the small motors, but maybe? 

The base looks like the later 1907 and later base.   The photo here shows the early (1905) tank strut on the left, 1906 and later on the right.   

early tank strut.jpg