Kawasaki/River Double Lever 1928-1929

Louis Luu

Hi Louis, I think I have the same fan as your green one, but came up empty when I searched the tag online.

I would be grateful for any additional info on it that other more resourceful (or knowledgeable) members can provide, as it's quite possibly the coolest thing I own.

Thanks...

20220213_112738.jpg

20220213_112841.jpg

20220213_112801.jpg

Edited by Roger Borg
  • Like 1

Anybody read Kanji? Super cool fans. Japan's house voltage is 100 volts 60 cycle. I've had Japanese electrical equipment before and it runs HOT on 120. The last tag shows 110-120 which makes these usable here. Kawasaki's racing color is green, by the way.

2 hours ago, Roger Borg said:

Hi Louis, I think I have the same fan as your green one, but came up empty when I searched the tag online.

I would be grateful for any additional info on it that other more resourceful (or knowledgeable) members can provide, as it's quite possibly the coolest thing I own.

Thanks...

20220213_112738.jpg

20220213_112841.jpg

20220213_112801.jpg

Good morning Roger.  The fan came in three versions.  The non adjustable one which is the one you have is an earlier oscillating version.  The cage is wrong....But I had told you I modify the cage anyway and it looks great.  The braking mechanism with the oscillation knob was introduce later.  The third one is a non-oscillating version is quite boring.  Now...you need an emblem for your cage!  I will be making some cast Saturn badges for mine.  Yours is free if you want them.  Great fan!

I hate the green on mine...that will need to be redone.  I have three of these so far.

Edited by Louis Luu

Roger...I'm still researching the Kawasaki/River fan.  There is a museum in Japan that has all three versions of that fan on display.  From what I can see and measure, it would appear River copied the design from the early double Veritys Lever but also added some unique features such as the braking system to adjust the orbital range.  Upon opening up the gearbox...it looks eerily similar to the Century S3 gear box system on the later design.  Also, the knob of the base reminds me of the Marelli switch?  Nonetheless, a very unique fan.  The only thing I don't dig about the fan is the safety cage.  That has got to go.  I like the open cage on yours very much.  You need a Saturn badge to match the orbital motion.

Edited by Louis Luu

I was told by the collector who passed it to me that it was all original.  Best he was able to date it was 20s, but all other info was scant.

Myself not knowing anything else about it, thought nothing incorrect about the cage.

That said, I might just take you up on the emblem in due time. Very kind, thank you...

1 hour ago, Roger Borg said:

I was told by the collector who passed it to me that it was all original.  Best he was able to date it was 20s, but all other info was scant.

Myself not knowing anything else about it, thought nothing incorrect about the cage.

That said, I might just take you up on the emblem in due time. Very kind, thank you...

I like the modified cage and brass blade!  The original had steel blade...very boring.  I hate the safety cage thing and steel blade. 

• 9 months later...
On 2/13/2022 at 12:05 PM, Roger Borg said:

Thanks...

20220213_112738.jpg

20220213_112841.jpg

20220213_112801.jpg

110-120 volt model. Only thing I can tell you is that this version only seems to show up if I machine translate search "Antique orbit fan" in Indonesian. 

Edited by Alex Koh
Everything had previously had a bunch of speculation so I am changing it to prevent misinformation from speeding
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Alex Koh said:

Close up image of the badge.319B5342-C5F3-4C92-9677-589A25EE8E5D.thumb.jpeg.444c621637a2edcd055cda78391686d5.jpeg

Hi Alex, is this fan yours or did you simply come across it a store?

If you're able, can you please post a pic of the oval label on the base?

Thanks...

9 hours ago, Roger Borg said:

Hi Alex, is this fan yours or did you simply come across it a store?

If you're able, can you please post a pic of the oval label on the base?

Thanks...

This isn't my fan these were images I found online.

43a7aca2-ad38-4471-8bfe-b322c0417f5a.jpg

Edited by Alex Koh

• 3 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 7:55 PM, Dan Nguyen said:

This is Verity Orbit

DAN_0708.jpg

Here is the explanation for the varity design. These two are located at the Kawasaki museum where these two are on display.

image.thumb.jpeg.1a3f8981e22057a67800febadddbba50.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.eaae7007bfafdd22c0a4dce85d800063.jpeg

• Like 1

I should also bring these later Kawasakis, these are all metal with the blades made out of plastic. I don't know of their exact end date but I'm assuming sometime around the late 50s early 60s.

昭和レトロ 扇風機 レトロ扇風機 KAWASAKI カワサキ アンティーク コレクション 稼働確認済み

The cord on the right is a switch that plugs into the fan to bypass the push buttons, use for wall mounting.

★☆★【川崎印の扇風機】《昭和》★アンティ-ク★KAWASAKI★扇風機★古い扇風機★レトロ★☆★_1★☆★【川崎印の扇風機】《昭和》★アンティ-ク★KAWASAKI★扇風機★古い扇風機★レトロ★☆★_4

Wall mount orbit fan. The oscilation is driven by a separate ac motor.
◇昭和レトロ 当時物 KAWASAKI エレクトリック ファン 壁掛け扇風機 カワサキ 扇風機 ELECTRIC FAN 現状品◇の画像1◇昭和レトロ 当時物 KAWASAKI エレクトリック ファン 壁掛け扇風機 カワサキ 扇風機 ELECTRIC FAN 現状品◇の画像3◇昭和レトロ 当時物 KAWASAKI エレクトリック ファン 壁掛け扇風機 カワサキ 扇風機 ELECTRIC FAN 現状品◇の画像9

Celing mount. I belive to be the oldest version has no transparent blades.
天井扇風機 川崎電気 CEILING FAN 昭和レトロ アンティーク ライトブルー 使用可能 外箱付きの画像1天井扇風機 川崎電気 CEILING FAN 昭和レトロ アンティーク ライトブルー 使用可能 外箱付きの画像8天井扇風機 川崎電気 CEILING FAN 昭和レトロ アンティーク ライトブルー 使用可能 外箱付きの画像9