The generosity of our members

David Kilnapp

Good evening friends. Last summer, my young friend Jack O'Callahan attended Tom Zapf's NJ Breezin' meet with his father, Neil. Young Jack doesn't have a lot of money to buy fans but he came home with a few that he tells me were given to him at no cost by Lane Shirey.  That generosity deserves mention because it made Jack very happy, indeed. Jack brought two of them to my house and we worked on them together.  The two fans were a sixteen inch 1952 Emerson and a twelve inch 1941 Emerson. Both fans ran well on three speeds but had quite a bit of rust mostly in the base indicating that they had been stored by a previous owner (not Lane) in a damp environment. The larger fan had been rattle can spray painted white and red. We tackled the larger fan first. Pictures follow.

IMG_1364.thumb.JPG.25ab44a358b612bd1ff8dc3dbe36ffbc.JPG

IMG_1365.thumb.JPG.132b479066325f99ddf1510249b91f4c.JPG

IMG_1367.thumb.JPG.39a17e426f6e01d657555e2f31848d65.JPG

IMG_1370.thumb.JPG.4be95ab10dcb495cd78f07d0a7c7e967.JPG

IMG_1371.thumb.JPG.f2a140b12a14de33d1c95fb0c6b391c5.JPG

Jack and I struggled to get the blade off but it wouldn't budge at all. Now I know that Emerson blades come off clockwise but it wouldn't move a bit so Jack and I called Rick Powell and he told me to put heat to the base of the center hub of the blade where it screws to the rotor. Well, that was all it took to loosen the hardened grease and it came right off (thanks Rick) - another trick in the bag for future reference. The white paint would only come off of the blade by burning with a torch. Ditto the red paint on the cage. That the speed coil still worked with all the rust on it is testimony to how rugged these Emersons are.

We got to work on it and soon the parts were ready for primer.

IMG_1377.thumb.JPG.0b92c03553bf6eb9443f9be721c34ddb.JPG

We cleaned all the old grease out of the gear case and applied new grease. The gears were pristine.

IMG_1381.thumb.JPG.18d0a0eba1f6f459eb449264d108050d.JPG

All primed and ready for Rustoleum advanced formula black glossy paint.

IMG_1385.thumb.JPG.19121fed935657628d5ebd31c5e1a2a5.JPG

IMG_1386.thumb.JPG.83999a81106173a2663c10a7c9461200.JPG

IMG_1387.thumb.JPG.e9e07622614b48ebbf172ab93dbf842d.JPGIMG_1390.thumb.JPG.b89858afe94b499a3f223667eb0b50bb.JPG

Jack chose to paint the cage and the blade a chromium silver so he sprayed them on Saturday and I assembled it on Monday.

IMG_1411.thumb.JPG.97c874c2cf80c567cfc01cbe80f089d4.JPG

IMG_1410.thumb.JPG.989fcae3b0b17d84ec9eadea5f66f8ed.JPG

I didn't take any before pictures of the smaller Emerson except for this one (below).

IMG_1398.thumb.JPG.8c33aceeaca85d7d28a936ef99323ec2.JPG

The japanne was in good shape except for the base which was primed with automotive (duplicover) black primer (three coats) and three coats of advanced formula Black glossy rustoleum. The cage just needed some work with steel wool and the blades repainted with flat black primer to match what they were originally. Here it is all finished.

IMG_1415.thumb.JPG.1d434efceb6f9d32154fd798ff646a2d.JPGIMG_1416.thumb.JPG.a7a8c8d4407885a98edc3c12956978b3.JPG

Jack is repaying Lane's generosity by giving the sixteen inch Emerson to his cousin who is recently married. The smaller fan will go in Jack's parents' second bedroom because Jack thinks the slow quiet oscillation makes it an ideal bedroom fan. I certainly agree with Jack's assessment. Jack's smile is testimony to his love of our hobby and it all started with the generous gift of a caring member (Lane Shirey). My hat's off to Lane!

1653902081_jack1.thumb.jpg.23c168d6b6ee75d2ead58015ce4c7a63.jpg

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

• Like 2

Man that’s one clean fan right there. I have its younger sibling which I want to thank lane for donating since I couldn’t make it to Jersey. First off I thought this thing didn’t run so I stole parts off my other other Emerson and used it to get this one to run5A8631C5-F7B9-497B-9539-CDE15E56E6C9.thumb.jpeg.b18f841fae47c18dee6c74da4ab43499.jpeg

Both fans look great 👍. Hats off to both you and Lane, it's nice to see the young people getting into the hobby. Having folks like you to help show them the ropes makes a huge difference!

• Like 1

Beautiful work on both of those fans! And thanks to Lane for helping out these young guys! Great fans that will be cherished for years! And those fans are smoooooth runners. Great for running all night. 

Gee guys, thanks for the kind words…I’m humbled. It’s great to see these young enthusiasts getting interested in our hobby, and I’m always happy to help when I can.  Jack’s a lucky guy having you (Dave) to take him under your wing!

Those “project” Emersons came out great! Though I kinda liked the red and white! 😁

Cheers! 

Edited by Lane Shirey
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lane Shirey said:

Gee guys, thanks for the kind words…I’m humbled. It’s great to see these young enthusiasts getting interested in our hobby, and I’m always happy to help when I can.  Jack’s a lucky guy having you (Dave) to take him under your wing!

Those “project” Emersons came out great! Though I kinda liked the red and white! 😁

Cheers! 

You helped me by giving that busted up Emerson. Which encouraged me to bring it back to life from a parts Emerson I had. I love that thing. Use it every time when it’s hot in the shed. Thank you lane for your generosity to us youngsters. 

• Like 1

You're a good guy, Lane. There's a lot of generous people in this club. I've been a recipient of much of that generosity so I'm very grateful and cognizant of my obligations.

• Thanks 1

Dear  Lane this is Robert Brandon good on you. Absolutely need more younger members in this club they can learn how to appreciate how things were made so well and how we have evolved although if I had a choice rather than some of the junk that's made today I choose the older thanks so much for doing a solid for a Young member regards Robert Brandon

Nice work all around, I always liked those models...last one I owned had a thoughtful add-on which was a small black automotive vacuum cap covering the oiling port to keep stuff from getting in...not a necessity but a decent idea. Congrats to all involved, Enjoy!

Hi David it's Robert Brandon I have gone to the buy sell page for antique 12 inch Silver Swan fan and I'm having trouble navigating I don't know if these fans are up for sale but I have my heart on buying one of them from 1934 to 1939 3 speed I cannot tell if they are up for sale or not it will not let me log in I see pictures from the Brandts and  other  members my birthday just passed and I'd like to get one .Friends will be contributing it is my all-time favorite fan just because of the design but because of the ingenuity that went into it .aAnd the fact that Emison put their trust in a woman Jane Evans and she literally saved the company. People scrimped and Saved  for this because it was so  energy efficient and they  are still running  today.  I'd trust  this over the junk made today with all the recalls being made of plastic that falls apart in a matter of months and Motors failing not for me along with fires if you can help me in any way I really would appreciate it would you be able to contact the brands what are the others and see if they are indeed for sale I know what they are running for and I am happy to pay that hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day with the special person in your life and I truly wish you all the best best regards Robert Brandon

3 hours ago, Robert Brandon said:

Hi David it's Robert Brandon I have gone to the buy sell page for antique 12 inch Silver Swan fan and I'm having trouble navigating I don't know if these fans are up for sale but I have my heart on buying one of them from 1934 to 1939 3 speed I cannot tell if they are up for sale or not it will not let me log in I see pictures from the Brandts and  other  members my birthday just passed and I'd like to get one .Friends will be contributing it is my all-time favorite fan just because of the design but because of the ingenuity that went into it .aAnd the fact that Emison put their trust in a woman Jane Evans and she literally saved the company. People scrimped and Saved  for this because it was so  energy efficient and they  are still running  today.  I'd trust  this over the junk made today with all the recalls being made of plastic that falls apart in a matter of months and Motors failing not for me along with fires if you can help me in any way I really would appreciate it would you be able to contact the brands what are the others and see if they are indeed for sale I know what they are running for and I am happy to pay that hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day with the special person in your life and I truly wish you all the best best regards Robert Brandon

Robert, my friend. Periods, Periods please!  They were invented for a reason. If you’d like your posts read, my advice would be to use them.  They are VERY hard to read with no punctuation.  Just my 2 cents. .

Lane thank you for your kind suggestion. I am doing my best to address this issue. I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day and enjoy Super Bowl. Best regards.Robert

Dear  Lane, Those 2 fans came out so beautiful. KUDOS to you for helping this young man.Also giving them for a marriage gift and to his parents  more exceptional! Robert Brandon 

On 2/15/2022 at 6:32 PM, Ron May said:

Both fans look great 👍. Hats off to both you and Lane, it's nice to see the young people getting into the hobby. Having folks like you to help show them the ropes makes a huge difference!

Dear Dave I second that emotion and helping young Jack what a beautiful gesture from Lane giving them to him and then you helping to restore them and then gifting them young Jack to family

On 2/15/2022 at 6:47 PM, David Kilnapp said:

Thanks Ron.

Hi David it's Robert Brandon hear one of your Ardent followers I am just overwhelmed and so proud of you and the other members that helped this young man to make him feel better and then to give the items away to his family members family we should have more of these stories today and I second the emotion Bravo bravo to all of you involved in this endeavor God bless you for doing this you can see it by the smile on his face and that is worth a million words best to you also happy Presidents Day Robert Brandon

Dear David hope you're Valentine's day was good last week and Super Bowl this club was  fantastic.  I was able to locate a 12-inch Silver Swan 3 speed to another member Noah and guess what ! MAYBE  that  gift of selling all those extra Silver Swan parts  for 72.00 including  shipping  all gears, blade ,bullet and others  came back to me .It was posted Friday  and I pounced . ALL  restored, mint condition,later model Chrome  guard.Evidently the sellers father  had quite  a collection  and kept them meticulously. Seller name splendy76 at Ebay I lucked out! Have a great week Best regards  Robert