Need help identifying and solving a running issue.

Sean Henry

Hello this is my first post if something is wrong message me and I shall fix it promptly. I have aquired my first fan a R&M from I suspect 1920-1930. I bought it in a box and am reassembling it. I am trying to identify it's model and better year approximation as the ID tag is MIA. It is a 3 speed fan but when the speed control coil is wired in I only have one speed although the fan starts and runs fine at the one speed. The speed coil has about 4 ohms on step 1, 2.75 on step 2 and 1 or less on the final step. 

16450501909958380785323416065446.jpg

16450502248721901903159439599966.jpg

16450502933556527796211417453003.jpg

16450503155857574561523593181854.jpg

It would be helpful to know the size of the fan, like maybe a 12” blade?  And how many wires go to the motor coil, 2 or 3?

it looks similar to a RM2410, but RM made many models and all have common appearances.

Regards,  Malcolm MacGregor 

So I’m confused, does it run on all three speeds with no change or only runs period on one of the speeds?

Its not uncommon for it to be difficult to notice speed differences especially if your house power pushes out like 125 volts or so. Try lowering voltage.

If it only actually runs on one speed and you’re sure it is wired correctly, the coil likely has a short and I would guess the only speed it runs on is high which essentially bypasses the coil with direct contact to motor if I’m not mistaken.

To Ben Guegain, It runs at all three positions for the speed selection lever but only has one fan blade speed. I suspected a short as well but the coil ohms out okay unless the ohm measurements in my first post are too low.

To Malcolm MacGregor, it is a 12 inch blade with three wires to the motor coil.  

And thank you both for the responses.

6 hours ago, Ben Guegain said:

So I’m confused, does it run on all three speeds with no change or only runs period on one of the speeds?

Its not uncommon for it to be difficult to notice speed differences especially if your house power pushes out like 125 volts or so. Try lowering voltage.

If it only actually runs on one speed and you’re sure it is wired correctly, the coil likely has a short and I would guess the only speed it runs on is high which essentially bypasses the coil with direct contact to motor if I’m not mistaken.

Stamped R&Ms typically have good speed separation.  I’d bet it’s miswired, bypassing the coil in some way, but since it requires the coil winding to start, at least that part may be wired ok. 

Also, you will only see different speeds if the blade is mounted, as an AC induction motor needs a load to operate at any speed less than its synchronous speed. 

• Thanks 1

Dave Hoatson now that you mention it I never tested with the blade mounted I will try that next thank you for pointing that out I would have never thought that.

Lane Shirley I have played with a couple different wiring set ups and diagrams I found both on this site and on regular Google but I will keep trying I have to figure it out eventually right?

15 hours ago, Sean Henry said:

Dave Hoatson now that you mention it I never tested with the blade mounted I will try that next thank you for pointing that out I would have never thought that.

Lane Shirley I have played with a couple different wiring set ups and diagrams I found both on this site and on regular Google but I will keep trying I have to figure it out eventually right?

Or burn up the speed coil.

The blade needs to be on these as mentioned for accurate measurement. Also, do you have a Kill-a-watt? Check the wattage on the different speeds. If you notice a drop of 5-10 watts each speed it's working well enough. But again, do this with blade on. 

Trevor Anderson I am working on assembling and testing but had some family issues come up thank you for the 5-10 watt difference I can look for that gives a test bench mark.

Lane Shirley that is always a possibility but as I said I got it in a box in a bunch of parts if it fries I know a couple businesses that rewind electrical motors and coils so I will have it fixed. This fan will run again I promise y'all that it will just take a bit of time.