Two Star

Jim Roadt

If Bottom plate and badge are correct it looks like original color was the GE dark green. I  was going to pontypool it I may switch to Charleston Green 20220218_180516.thumb.jpg.a9b1d1e6251128c33aca2905151dad87.jpg

I have a 32v. DC version with a brass cage and a gold  painted steel blade.  Also a 110v. DC  with a brass blade and steel cage. Either they used whatever they had available or the inspector needed some new glasses.  

5C884114-C50F-4B2F-A521-BCFD214EE1DC.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Steve Butler said:

I have a 32v. DC version with a brass cage and a gold  painted steel blade.  Also a 110v. DC  with a brass blade and steel cage. Either they used whatever they had available or the inspector needed some new glasses.  

5C884114-C50F-4B2F-A521-BCFD214EE1DC.jpeg

I believe Henry is the guy in the twilight zone that just wanted to be left alone to read his books and his glasses broke.....be careful what you wish for

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Robert Todd said:

Jim, I believe you are referencing Burgess Meredith in that Twilight Zone episode although the glasses were much the same.

Yes  that is Burgess meredith playing Henry Bemis

This is a little off topic but I assume this is a 75423 which is my favorite GE...has anyone done a timeline of the production run from say the 3 star (1915-ish) BC BB steel disk through say the '22-ish no-star BB SC Brass bell along with the correct colors for each? I know this may be impossible as they did use whatever was laying about the shop such as 3 or 4 conductor headwires of which only 2 would be used... and the colors, even in the same year could be Charleston-ish or just black as with the brass bell. Mr Stevens has literature about colors for some of those years which only refers to their colors as "GE green enamel"...kinda vague. Hopefully you get the intent of my question, even if it's only "ish-y".

Hey Jim Roadt,

Lionel used a very similar shade

949464911_AFCAGreen.thumb.png.3f27a622dc97d5c4a0fa753af82d5cc1.png

I have not gone to any effort to recreate original shade GE green, which as has been pointed out numerous times in the past is highly variable. Darker-green, apple-green, ever-...   And, exposed green is different from obscured (like under your tag), making the whole original color notion a bit academic. I ran into a similar situation years ago dealing with Delta Specialty and Delta-Milwaukee/Rockwell machinery gray, and I never had confidence that the variety of shades wasn't caused by component tints fading at different rates... I prefer the William Dunlap method of utilizing the near-infinite colors afforded by automotive paints, and if something custom is desired, the local shop can mix it... Which is to say, pick a color you like and paint the fan thusly, original be d@Ωπed since, with GE non-black, it can only be guessed at... though it can be guessed at with some reasonable confidence...

Saying it's two-star narrows it down to about a five-year time of production, and if you're truly going for correctness, Form and Serial Number help greatly to narrow the range. Even that particular paper label (L-10427) on the base was re-printed over time, and can only provide an earliest possible date of manufacture (14 May 1917), if it is original equipment. And, there's nothing I've seen in any of the included photos to argue against originality.

Wanna post the tag?

And Thanks right back at you. I stitched the images together...

1783675198_75423S11291767-JimRoadt1.thumb.png.247cc903bda6567b3971205e4657c96f.png

To give an idea what I'm saying, my little database has the 75423 model-- the GE 12" oscillating fan-- and that model alone, Form S, having a range from serial number 1195644 to 1379544 (so far). Ranges extend a bit beyond those numbers, either above or below, with other models.

This list is limited by the relatively short while I've compiled, and the limited selection from which I pluck the data. For contrast, the 75423 Form V spans numbers 1206531 to 1457000 beyond which, for 75423, only spec. numbers are printed...

6 hours ago, Jim Roadt said:

That is one ugly green

5 hours ago, Steve Rockwell said:

Lionel used a very similar shade

Also known as...
     "pea soup green."

286652329_shotRemember_E_orcist06jpg.jpg.e30b62a1f9d8b7b39ed5936fabb42c1f.jpg

Like the others said, you never know on two stars. I have one on the shelf SB SC, another BB SC, & the one I helped Julie Emr with was SB BC.

My Mom used to refer to that color as baby-shit green...if it aint one thing then it's your Mother. She was a very classy dame but not afraid to say to tell it like it is ...but I'd still like to know if, perhaps on the old forum, there is at least some sort of general guide for what materials were used in which years of these early 75423's...if it's just not possible then ok but any help would be great as they are easy to work on, they work well, look sharp and are still out there in the wild for a reasonable price...at least for now and personally I'd like to know how to treat them right. Anyone?

It is some company’s inventory tag. Didn’t come on the fan, but added by the owner. Was probably installed when the fan was purchased.

1 hour ago, Stan Adams said:

It is some company’s inventory tag. Didn’t come on the fan, but added by the owner. Was probably installed when the fan was purchased.

Thanks Stan I think I will keep it on

Next problem 

I want to remove the star and that brass screw.  That brass screw will not budge. Two days of penetrating oil, heat, and purple power to dissolve any paint....and nothing. hopefully the swearing is muted

Any suggestions appreciated 20220220_155921.thumb.jpg.e7e9745a80ecddce46d7871fb4c8de8a.jpg

The brass screw has a set screw under the lid.  Some of the have the set screw inthe same hole as thecover screw

46 minutes ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

Take the cover off and it will be under it

Thanks Anthony....new problem how do I get Star off to get cover off?20220220_174658.thumb.jpg.32e7a80cf5750b545115c69004cc0b7f.jpg