What is this GE fan BMY?

Cam Kuruliak

It was a poor design and the oscillator gear that strips is or was very difficult to find.  Might be available somewhere. 

Other than that I like them.

Cam, I would put them in the uncommon but not rare category.  Personally I’ve been two out of three that I’ve bought that functioned correctly.  If you look you’ll see the front of a collar oscillator motor and a coin op look the same style.  The only ones that look like this that I’m aware of.   With the cage and struts gone and missing motor screws, I’m betting it’s a hot mess.  Buy it as cheap as possible     Best of luck.  

Edited by Steve Butler

Below are pictures of restored 12 inch and 16 inch collar oscillators. As was noted, they were only made for one year - 1914 - due to the poor design of the gears which were made from pot metal and were prone to fracture or break. They are not particularly rare though the worm gear in the nose (made of steel) is very hard to find.

IMG_0086.thumb.JPG.505b7d1c3fa3ff294005384c5fae3ad4.JPGIMG_1433.thumb.JPG.9682a4eafde8543ef80883734746cfbc.JPG

The little worm gear in the nose is probably worth $100 alone if you can get the stump for less than that.

The nose gears are seen below.

1498117456_GECollarOscillatorGear2.jpg.b6d032b87e02aacd65a8c007e8e299e9.jpg

Below is the worm gear that is very difficult to find.

1613904522_GECollarOscillatorGear3.jpg.826ee56fd864822c7fb95546366c7759.jpg

Collar Oscillator gear1.jpg

GE Collar Oscillator Gear 4.jpg

Edited by David Kilnapp