Hunter wiring question

David Kilnapp

Hello fellow fan friends. My young friend, Jack, and I are working on the last fan that Lane gave him at the NJ Breezin' meet. It's a Hunter. For the life of me, Jack and I cannot figure out how it should be wired. I've tried every combination to get this fan to start on its own and run correctly. The picture below shows the wires. The two thick green wires go to the silver thing inside the base. The three skinny wires (two of which have the metal loops on the end) go to the red resistance wire and the head wires are the black green and red wires with the two blue wire nuts. 

What exactly is the function of the silver thing in the base and is it directional, that is does it matter which of the two green wires attached to the silver thing goes to the head wire?

I would really love to get this running for Jack but I need some assistance please.

IMG_1428.thumb.JPG.852e1de3417965b035484b4a2c4ee0a5.JPG

Look in the info area & look at PSC motor. The silver thing is a capacitor, change it out. Hunters are notorious for failed capacitors. The wires with the hooks go to the switch.

The wires on the cap can be installed in either direction. Replace it with one of the small square rectangular plastic caps preferably with a voltage rating of 370-440v. Check Amazon and eBay or your local appliance parts store. 

I’d get rid of those butt splices and solder /shrink tube those connections. Also it appears that there’s a short circuit /arc mark here, so be sure that the wire hasn’t vaporized there causing an open circuit. It appears that the green conductors are the start circuit. But it’s hard to tell just from pics. 

E941B978-AF8F-4330-A9E0-B792E9017614.jpeg

It’s all sorted out now. I installed a new capacitor and now it runs perfectly on three distinct speeds. Now Jack and I can decide how to restore it. Thanks for all your assistance!!

Got it running right and now Jack wants to paint the blade something more to his liking so I stripped the paint off today. We'll tackle that tomorrow maybe (weather permitting). Big storm heading our way tomorrow.

IMG_1435.thumb.JPG.8cab2c39e753f76d71bd6ececc92d3b1.JPG

IMG_1437.thumb.JPG.cf6054766f654bc1de3e2c23da61cfdb.JPG

Hi David it's Robert Brandon good morning wherever you are I am a nightbird and I must say that fan is absolutely spectacular how so far ahead they were in designing fans more architectural e more minimalistic and functional besides made to last forever made in the USA with a minimal amount of care and energy-efficient Bravo I applaud you helping dear Jack the smile on his face it's worth a million words congratulations if more people would be kind to each other even a good morning Etc we would be in such a better place you have yourself a wonderful day be safe best regards Robert

Thank you for your kind words Robert. Below is the finished Hunter which now sits in Jack's bedroom.

IMG_1445.thumb.JPG.293b2d0c28c80396e06375aa80550ab7.JPG

Edited by David Kilnapp