Transitional Westinghouse Fan Motor.

Russ Huber

My impression is Westinghouse designed their new transitional 1902 alternating and direct current desk fans too late to get them into the early 02 electrical trade journals. For those of you who scan google books, I encourage you to give it your best shot to find a peep in electrical trade on the 1902 Westinghouse desk fan motors.

Check out how close the style numbers are on these alternating and direct current desk fan motors.

image (1).png

image.png

image (2).png

1446288854_img(32)(2).jpeg.a91ffda5da6ee5e940a9ae7a841eb029.jpeg

2022224520_img(36).jpeg.a300d30613a36f82402d0e6e49738654.jpeg

800963071_img(33).jpeg.99860993a6dd5045ff48698d70d4f3a9.jpeg

1899-01 model function.

image (3).png

On high speed the switch lever through contacts engages the two windings in parallel. 

When the switch lever is moved into the medium speed position it disengages power to one of the two windings powering only one winding reducing the fan speed roughly 500 RPM give or take. 

When the switch lever is moved into the low speed selection, switch contacts wired to the two windings engage them in series, creating the highest resistance through the windings reducing the fan speed to the lowest RPM. 

9900DC.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

I understand the chicken mesh on the back of guard obviously doesn’t belong BUT could it be possible the 30 extra spokes DO belong? The same person who cheaply soldered chicken mesh surely didn’t take the time to bend brass stock and pierce the guard ring so uniformly and aligned with thicker spokes. Is there any other example of a Tesla guard coming from Westinghouse like that? Very odd..

1 minute ago, Ben Guegain said:

I understand the chicken mesh on the back of guard obviously doesn’t belong BUT could it be possible the 30 extra spokes DO belong? The same person who cheaply soldered chicken mesh surely didn’t take the time to bend brass stock and pierce the guard ring so uniformly and aligned with thicker spokes. Is there any other example of a Tesla guard coming from Westinghouse like that? Very odd..

No. But I am highly suspicious the blade wings were cut down.

If that’s true they did a good job. Whoever worked on it had a little machining background at the least. Maybe that person added spokes and cut wings and THEN another bloke with absolute no respect for machines, art or workmanship, added the chicken mesh. 🤷‍♂️

For what it's worth: I purchased a late model Tesla with the stamped badge that appeared to be all original yet had cut down wings very well executed I must say. It was a original Tesla blade and hub with about 3/8" taken off each wing tip giving the blade more the appearance of a pancake blade than the more rounded 13" Tesla blade. The patina on the blade suggested the cuts were done a long time ago.

On 2/24/2022 at 12:48 PM, Steve Cunningham said:

Jim, I have a picture of a Tesla with that switch in the Ford Museum.

Hi, Steve.

Would you be so kind as
to post your picture(s) of
the Ford Museum's Tesla
fan with the funky-monkey
drum switch.    Please!,...
I'd really like to see it.  Thumbup.gif.b9e67d98d355ac3ab97f5b32021a53d7.gif

Edited by Jim Kovar

Seeing as this fan is a transitional model between the 13.25" Tesla and the 12" Pancake, to me it seems likely that this fan is sporting a Tesla cage matched with a pancake blade. This would explain the seemingly undersized blade. What I find strange is that the AC 1902 model with the earlier (Tesla) blade would be matched with a later pancake badge, while the DC 1902 model with the later (pancake?) blade is matched with the earlier Tesla badge. Both appear to have the larger Tesla cage.

image.png.251bfd1c25384c28ae2a622f36a4dc11.pngimage.jpeg.6e22d0a6ffec759a6d78ee0582907f06.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Alec Burns said:

This makes me look at my '01 DC GE with an even bigger grin.

Your 01 GE DC is pictured and explained clearly in 01 electrical trade.  Nice fan, but it won't do crazy at auction.  The 02 Westinghouse alternating, and direct current models were a mystery. Most were under the impression the AC Tesla was on the market in 02.  The facts are 1902 electrical trade to the best of my knowledge supports no Westinghouse desk fan motor. 01 and 03 support the Westinghouse alternating and direct current desk fan motors.  My impression is Westinghouse was late to get their transitional 02 desk fans in early 02 electrical trade.  I was frustrated with that for some time until the RECENT surfacing of BOTH the 02 alternating and direct current Westinghouse desk fan models. That alone blows my mind. Did someone out there see the price the AC model brought and decided to let their DC go?  

If you want to see even bigger crazy.....list the 99 introduction Westinghouse DC to auction, "IF" you have it. 🙂

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

Did someone out there see the price the AC model brought and decided to let their DC go?

I'd guess neither
     seller had a clue.

The D.C. was still
     "barn fresh."

No extra charge for
     dust or cobwebs.

Edited by Jim Kovar

3 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Your 01 GE DC is pictured and explained clearly in 01 electrical trade.  Nice fan, but it won't do crazy at auction. 

Yeah I agree with you. I'm sure it would do well in auction, but nothing near 45k. That's got to be one of the highest I've personally seen go. I wouldn't be surprised if that winning bid falls through. Unless there's a member or a museum somewhere with deep pockets. Curious if the new owner will come up sometime.

Edited by Alec Burns

Belding's first fire was on Dec. 5, 1888 was at their sales office and salesroom on 182 Jackson St. in Chicago.

The first fire to destroy the Belding Motor Co. in the end of June of 1889 also took 2 other motor manufacturers in Chicago. The Elmer A. Sperry Co., and the Standard Electric Co.(upstairs in the same building as Belding) were destroyed. The Belding concern loss was estimated at $50,000.

New Belding factory manufactured fan motor introduced for one fan motor season of 1890.

In Jan. 16, 1891 the Belding concern once again burned to the ground never to be again.

Only one fan motor season sandwiched between 2 years with destructive fires that leveled the factory. 

Priceless

download.jpg

Belding Electric bipolar (should have pizza blade).jpg

• Like 1

It really is a shame some of the people who invented all of these amazing fans and motors and things aren’t alive to see how far their ingenuity went in helping the world develop. Or even that a select group of people still admire their handiwork over a hundred years later. This guy seemed pretty down on his luck in this letter.

8 hours ago, Ben Guegain said:

It really is a shame some of the people who invented all of these amazing fans and motors and things aren’t alive to see how far their ingenuity went in helping the world develop. 

Nice thought, and I don't mean to be harsh, but this is a capitalist country. I think the boys had making $$$ on their mind more than your comfort level. I would agree they put more heart & passion into the construction of the early machines.

There were electric cars in the late 19th century spanning into the 20th. Women loved them as they were not as noisy as the fossil fuel motor vehicles. Where was the $$$ to be made? Fossil fuel driven vehicles, so much for what the ladies liked. 🙂

Back on track, Warren Belding (Belding Motor & Mfg. Co.) Engineer/Plant superintendent must have been involved another attempt to get back into the electrical world in 1894. Where he went with that beyond 94 is unknown to me. The electrical trade trail for this company beyond 94 fizzles out.

taylorbelding94.v1.jpg

10 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

The electrical trade trail for this company beyond 94 fizzles out.......................

............. for good reason.

2066255711_10May1894IronTradeReview-Belding.png.9243b60571453523163cc5cad43c033d.png

921294930_31Oct1894Electricity-Belding.png.892fe4fc2ff03beee452c9e40d21d86e.png

Mr. Charles H. Bunker wasn't the only one looking into real estate.....

67400316_BeldingFan2.jpg.30c3f2687e67fb39e9b8d88741880146.jpg

128059577_AFCA-Belding.png.40563dc56faa6382cdfd02c46ac9da71.png

Seems like we should be giving Belden its own thread, and not hijack the Westinghouse thread... says one guilty party........ 

Seems like we should be giving Belden its own thread, and not hijack the Westinghouse thread... says one guilty party........ 

I slipped a tad. No need to make matters worse and include Belden.

vintage-belden-power-cord_1_e85571891198fa056fda3ff19eafe638.jpg