Source for old style screws?

Doug Wendel

Hey all,

Does anyone have a source for old-style machine screws in brass or steel like used on our cast iron fans?  These have larger dome heads than the ones you can buy at the hardware store today, both wider and deeper.  See the new brass screw on the left vs. the old steel one on the right.

Specifically for this project, I need (6) 8-32 x 1/2 machine screws similar to the steel one for a DC R&M Tank and I think brass would also be correct.  It would be great to know where I could order these in different sizes and metals as needed,.  Steve Cunningham, I know you were in the fastener business for decades, and there are some master restorers on here who know where to source weird stuff.  Thanks!

screws.thumb.jpg.485e8944c75cd78fb2a034e46be22633.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve been out of the Fastener Business about 20 years.  I don’t know f and design changes.  Almost all fasteners are made in China now. Your best bet may be to find one of those ancient hardware stores. 

Oh, Steve.  Now you make yourself sound old, and I know that's not the case. 😊   

I guess I should just look for any old junk and strip it down for hardware.

I get my hardware where ever I can find suitable stuff, McMaster-Carr, Ebay, the hardware store.

Here, McMaster-Carr has screws like you are searching for. I do not know the head dimensions you are looking for, but the drawing has the information, so you would not be buying "sight unseen."

Screenshot_2022-02-27 McMaster-Carr.png

On 2/26/2022 at 3:13 PM, Doug Wendel said:

Hey all,

Does anyone have a source for old-style machine screws in brass or steel like used on our cast iron fans?  These have larger dome heads than the ones you can buy at the hardware store today, both wider and deeper.  See the new brass screw on the left vs. the old steel one on the right.

Specifically for this project, I need (6) 8-32 x 1/2 machine screws similar to the steel one for a DC R&M Tank and I think brass would also be correct.  It would be great to know where I could order these in different sizes and metals as needed,.  Steve Cunningham, I know you were in the fastener business for decades, and there are some master restorers on here who know where to source weird stuff.  Thanks!

I find these at the smaller hardware store "franchises". Not sure what you call them. Like True-Value, ACE etc.