Emerson 1010 stator issue

David Kilnapp

Hi friends:  I recently purchased an Emerson 1010 from another member. He was honest in his dealings and told me that the fan would not start on its own. I figured it was an issue with the centrifugal start. That turned out NOT to be the case. I replaced the headwire and the fan will run fine once I give it a spin. I pulled the stator and cut the leads to the energized part of the centrifugal start and put my ohn meter on the two wires. There is no continuity between the two wires. So what to do?

IMG_1449.thumb.JPG.bd7812b3520f0f242483019ad4f77339.JPG

I cut the wires to see if there was a break further up that I could spot. I chatted with Rick Powell about this and he and Chris Smith suggested that the start winding on this fan (does it have a start winding?) was fried. I haven't run into this issue before so I'm asking for some guidance as to next steps? Rewind? Look further the two wires for a break in one of the wires?

David if you have a non-obvious/elusive opening in your start winding, the stator needs to be rewound. Another skilled hands on second opinion would not be out of order.  I have a 16" 08-09 BMY with this problem. Bummer for sure.

That's what I figured, Russ. Pity. I put power to the two headwires and then put my voltage tester on the two wires going to the centrifugal start. They should definitely be hot when power is applied to the two headwires - but alas, nothing...

Edited by David Kilnapp

You are probably going to have to have a rewind, but some times you can get lucky & find a bad solder joint. Yes it does have a start winding, You should get continuity on one side of the centrifugal switch & one of the leads. If not it is probably fried.

Hi Stan. I pulled back the tape and found the broken wires that go to the centrifugal start. You can see them below on the right and the left.

IMG_1452.thumb.JPG.ac08691343f1c502ca4391527ff13340.JPG

I don't get any continuity when I put my ohm meter on each of these wires that go to the centrifugal start and either one of the head wires. Therefore, I believe that the start winding is indeed fried as you suggested. Who does rewinds on this type of stator with a centrifugal start?

Thanks Mike. I contacted the seller to see if he/she would provide some measurements to see if this might fit.  

Edited by David Kilnapp

David, do you just have a few windings open?  Can you splice them? If you're lucky enough to have but a few or one open wire, they can be spliced. Been there done that.

I’ll be very grateful to Mike if it does. Russ:  I did find the break and was able to splice to the wires but alas there was still no continuity which seems to indicate that the start windings are bad.

Hello friends. I took Mike's suggestion and bought the Emerson 1510 stator on eBay for about $106 including shipping. It's the one on the right below.

IMG_1453.thumb.JPG.36954a9e7ec995ff10949d6c3a4373cb.JPG

One of the headwires had no continuity so I followed it back into the windings until I got good continuity. The two wires that apparently go to the centrifugal start copper coil that sits in the back of the case are top right. The readings on the ohm meter are 67.8 between the two head wires and 43 between the two centrifugal wires. The stator on the left (the original one) only shows continuity between the headwires which reads 30.2 ohms. There is no continuity between the two centrifugal wires nor any between the centrifugal wires and the head wires  (on the stator to the left) which seems to indicate that the start windings are fried.

The replacement stator (from a 1510 Emerson) on the right, slid easily into the case but alas, it would not start up at all and when I spun the rotor by hand, it would rotate, but not fast enough to disengage the centrifugal start mechanism and the stator gets very hot so I'm not sure what's going on. Any ideas? At any rate, these stators are not interchangeable I guess so a rewind is in my future.

Edited by David Kilnapp

On another matter, it was suggested to me that perhaps I had the pairs of wires reversed, that is, I had wired the centrifugal wires connected to the head wires and the head wires connected to the centrifugal start. That would seemingly account for the stator getting hot. The resistances between the two sets of wires are 43 and about 68. I had the centrifugal wires attached to the lower resistance pair. Do I have it backwards? The age of the original wrappings on the apparent head wires looked original before I removed them so that suggested to me that I had the correct orientation. Opinions?

HALLELUJAH!!! Thanks Chris and Mike. You were both correct. It started right up and ran perfectly!!! Wow, what a learning experience! THANK YOU THANK YOU!

• Like 1

Thank you to all my fan friends for great information and help!!

IMG_1456.thumb.JPG.d52e121357202631be1b98155ad9a41b.JPG

IMG_1457.thumb.JPG.96cc0e7ca22b3123f458ddf9baa7482d.JPG

Thanks also to Tony Clayton for excellent headwire, Rick Powell for wonderful japanning and Ron Bethoney for excellent work on restoring the cage and blade!

• Like 4