One Picture, One Shot - Galaxy Box Fan

Aaron Hardy

Wife's traveling and she sent me a photo of a find at an antique shop. I'm not good with box fans, but I know I kind of like this one. I think the $85 price is a bit high, but I doubt I'll get much movement on it here in Texas. The fan market is too much of a known quantity. I told her to stop by tomorrow and ask if they'll to $65. Am I in a fair range?

PXL_20220304_214730554.jpg

Edited by Aaron Hardy
context of question
  • Like 1

THATS A LOT. I WOULD THINK MORE LIKE $30-40. I HAVE NEVER HAD ONE WITH THAT BLADE ON IT EITHER  SO I DONT KNOW HOW THEY MOVE AIR . IT IS HARD TO SEE IF THAT HAS THE HOLES ON THE SIDE FOR A STAND , THEY USUALLY DID AND THAT ONE LOOKS MISSING. FOR $65 I WOULD WANT SUPER MINTY, JUST MY 2 CENTS 

• Like 1

I agree with Tom. That seems pretty high for that condition regardless of location or implied scarcity. Most of the boxes I've picked up lately (within the last year) are older Bersteds, but I don't think I've paid over $40 for any of them. I'm pretty sure they're all older (and heavier) than the Galaxy pictured above and they all run, but only one was near minty. 

Handles on my Bersteds are all chromed or metal and not plastic and the Bersted blades are riveted. That Galaxy handle looks plastic and it has a stamped blade. If you're just wanting an all metal (sans handle) box fan, I would wait it out and look around a bit (in my opinion). Box fans seem to pop up everywhere when I'm looking, and Iowa seems to have its share of them available. 😊

• 1 month later...

Yep, most antique dealers leave room for negotiation on their prices. You may agree on $65 which is not a bad price out the door for an old box fan you like. Ebay shipping for them runs $30 to $60 depending how far it has to go