Stator removal

Arjun Saini

Thank you Alec! For the method of removing this bmy stator! 
I got this thing out in 1 piece!image.thumb.jpg.f8eb0b969ab1c8dce4b5d882eb59a4ef.jpg

FWIW.....GE and Emerson stator removal for most part is a breeze from the cast iron housings. In a nutshell the stator will slide out with minimal effort. The wider a PVC tube diameter closest to the inside diameter of the stator the better with a stubborn stuck stator. The pipe is covering more casting surface area to help ensure against casting fracture as opposed to the risk of fracture using a narrower centralized blow to the casting

junior.jpg

DSCN08810001.JPG

Arjun,  what I was trying to get across is using  a hammer handle to knock a stator out of a casting directs the force to the center or bearing area of the casting. This puts MORE stress on weaker area being the cast vent holes, thus increasing your risk of blowing out the back of the housing with a stubborn stator removal.

Most (90+%) of the Emerson, GE, Westinghouse heavy cast housing held stators do not offer much resistance for the stator to slip out. This would be in your favor using the hammer handle method.  What I was trying to say is the wider pipe method offers more rear casting contact with no force directed to the center (bearing) area of the casting . 

If you like your hammer handle method, just be careful no to use to much downward force if the stator is stubborn.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1