1950-ish Vornado 12D1 motor restore issues

John Nyman

Built right about 1950, not sure where to post this so am posting in both pre and post 1950...Model 12D1, the big Vornado. I've had it for years and it always sounded "dry" but oiling it where the torpedo housing indicated never cured it, then recently it started with some odd, clicking motor noise and I pulled it all apart tonight...and I don't know what I'm looking at. Ive been working on 'teens and 'twentys motors for so long I just don't have a feel for this newer motor style and need help.

pic 1 is the empty hole, the pic 2 is the tag, pic 3 is the rear motor cover's insides, pic 4 and 6 are of a plastic cover at the rear of the motor that seems to have a chunk missing, pic 7 is the rear housing, pic 5 is the front shaft/blade mount. 

This fan is complete, in excellent shape....I'd give it a 95/100 for condition and it got me hooked on this hobby so it's one of my favorites...but this damaged plastic piece is a concern, I can't tell if it used grease for some bits (pics 4 and 6 showed me some greased areas) and oil for others? I'm at a total loss as to how to proceed with this. I don't know how to tear it down further, and I don't want to do a "lube and pray". Anybody have any advice?

I cross-posted this in the "pre 1950" section as it may belong there. I have the next size down version of this fan as well as the even smaller version which is a daily runner and I want to keep this family all in good shape...any help appreciated as I am kinda lost here and don't want to ruin it.zvornado2.jpg.8f9106cc053b5aa824f1390c6271ed8c.jpg

zvornado1.jpg

zvornado3.jpg

zvornado5.jpg

zvornado7.jpg

zvorando4.jpg

zvorando6.jpg

Edited by John Nyman

Hey Cam....are these motors pretty much un-serviceable then? It looks like a real pita to work on, is it one of those things just best left to a professional?

That plastic piece looks like something I would assume to be able to hold the bearings in. I am not sure what you can buy that could act as a replacement but I'm sure you'll find something. As for the bearings being dry you can pop out the ball bearings and just replace them if they're dry, there comes a point where if its worn its just not worth trying to pry them open and grease it. Not sure if this is helpful but that is all I can think of.

• Thanks 1

Looking more closely you're right Alex...it's bearing keeper. If it was not so brittle I'd pop out the bearing, grease it and look at taking the rest apart to get to the front bearing or bushing. But that plastic keeper is rock hard and I doubt it would survive removal...and I don't understand how integral it might be . There's a snap-ring that holds the bearing in place on the shaft so no big deal...but that plastic piece seems to also fit into the motor housing in such a way that the housing crabs the bearing and also causes the plastic part to spin inside of a race of sorts. It's a weird way to build a motor but that plastic must be there for a reason....and it's about shot. I'm baffled

12 hours ago, John Nyman said:

Hey Cam....are these motors pretty much un-serviceable then? It looks like a real pita to work on, is it one of those things just best left to a professional?

Hi John, I do not possess the skills to rebuild electric motors so a clean rebuild was a no brainer for me.

Just as a post script Cam, your guy seems to know what he's about but he had never seen this motor before...not sure what this means for my situation but he suggested it was a replacement and some good machinist worked it so that it could fit the 4 bushing mounts and have the right dimensions for the blade etc. I'm dubious, but I'm certainly no expert. He offered a replacement motor for a price, maybe that's my only real option here. Thanks for your help though Cam!

I had thought that myself when I saw your pics John. I have refurbished a few Vornados and your motor was indeed one I've not seen before.

• Thanks 1

You don't happen to know anyone who has a motor for this fan do you? And also....this model has a smaller brother, does it use the same motor?

I may be able to find one, but I will need the dimensions of the old motor first (diameter/length of body and shaft diameter).  Also, does the motor run clockwise or counter clockwise when looking at the shaft.  Be aware that your motor is fan cooled and most motors are rated air over which means that they need a stream of air going past the windings in order to keep them cool.  If you use an air over motor in your fan and the back motor cover does not have many ventilation holes, the motor will overheat and possibly burn out.  Hope this helps.

Hi Ken, The old motor has a diameter of 3.25". length of 3.75", it spins Clockwise when looking at the front of the motor and has a shaft diameter of 5/16ths or .312". My motor has an internal cooling fan and because of where the motor is mounted, it's not going to get much airflow...so I'm betting it needs to have that internal fan. I'm probably going to need a second motor soon, for another Vornado, but I sure don't want to seem greedy or needy and any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks, John

That one is close, just worries about the small size difference and mounting issues using the original hardware. I'm still looking for an original motor for this thing but not too many around.