Emerson restomod? Has anyone done this?

Doug Wendel

I have an early Emerson -- model 910.  Internally, the motor appears trashed -- centrifugal switch and windings need expensive repairs. 

But it makes me wonder.  I've never heard of it before in 27 years collecting/restoring, but surely someone has attempted to transplant a common 29646 stator, rotor, and switch coil into an early 12" Emerson before, right?  A preliminary measurement indicates the motor dimensions might allow a swap.  

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried this and what they discovered.  Or any other random thoughts or opinions among friends.

I have not seen that exact swap but I did see an Emerson junior stator and rotor stuffed into a 11644 before. I think Chuck had it. 

The choke that runs a 29646 Emerson would likely not fit into the base of the 910. Seems like an early enough fan that it would merit the rewind ?

3 hours ago, Geoff Dunaway said:

The choke that runs a 29646 Emerson would likely not fit into the base of the 910. Seems like an early enough fan that it would merit the rewind ?

Yes, I agree, and I will almost certainly spend the time and money to restore it to original.  I will need to find the male (stator side) switch parts though -- which could be challenging.  Getting a rewind shouldn't be be too hard.

Don't expect you'd remember, but I bought the 910 from you at PP or similar probably around 1998-99.  It had multi-hued mint green and ivory paint on it.  I'm just getting to restoring it now, lol.

Edited by Doug Wendel

U R correct.;  don't remember but certainly believable. I have some projects under the benches that have been collecting dust maybe that long. I went by the home furnishings store today to see if the carpet for the basement had come in. A pretty blue eyed blonde haired lady greeted me at the desk. I introduced myself and why I was there. She looked up at me and said " I dont know that you remember but 30 years ago tomorrow, you delivered me".  All I could say was My how you've  changed !!! , and Happy Happy Birthday tomorrow.  Wow does time ever fly by.....

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2022 at 6:43 AM, Michael Rathberger said:

I have not seen that exact swap but I did see an Emerson junior stator and rotor stuffed into a 11644 before. I think Chuck had it. 

I’m having the same issue with a bad stator in a 19644.  I guessing Chucks used the original switch with Junior stator?  I was thinking about using a 29645 stator and switch but it might be too fast for the 8” blade.  If the jr stator would work that would be great