Colonial 12" Front Oscillator Done

Bobby Gaines

Finally finished My Colonial front oscillator, When I first got it about a year and a half ago I thought all I needed to do was replace the broken pot metal neck( so I fabricated one out of carbon steel). Then I found the bearings needed replacing so I sent to Darryl Hudson, Then I found that the rotor worm gear had some flat places on it. Stan Adams had one and sent it to me. Then it was running very hot so I sent it to Rick Huckabee , rewound it called me and told me the rotor would not fit in stator. So I picked up at Stan's meet in Houston. I got with Darryl and he told me to run a drum sander in . The stator had a dented place on out side I started there on the inside. It Worked! Runs great now. I had almost gave up two times. But with a lot of help from my friends got it done.    

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

• Like 9

What's wrong with the badge ? great job. What perseverence. Those are smooth running fans when everything is right. Another overbuilt workhorse but a beautiful restoration.

Glad to see your persistence paid off.  Beautiful job. 👍   My only thought on the badge is it shouldn’t have the screw through the front.  The earlier ones were soldered on the back.  Just a guess. 🤷‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

Impressive! I’ve got a Peerless very similar to yours but missing the front top mounted grease cup/oiler. I’ve tried finding a comparator with no luck. Do you have any pictures of yours separate from where it’s mounted? Does it screw in or just pin mount? The hole where mine would sit doesn’t appear to be threaded. Thanks for any info and, again, nice job!!

Dave the front oiler on that fan screws in, Its 1/4" but I cant remember the pitch. I will check on that and take some pictures.

9 hours ago, Bobby Gaines said:

Dave the front oiler on that fan screws in, Its 1/4" but I cant remember the pitch. I will check on that and take some pictures.

Thanks Bobby. Mine is more of a pin mount, with no threads I can see and an opening about the size of a #8 screw.