Free Silver Swan

David A Cherry

..OK.. sadly not free to you, but it was to me.. So am I bragging or complaining?  Well again sadly I’m bragging.. but there is good news.. FYI ...after a high polishing job the blade got out of balance so I made a custom arbor for my Du-bro prop balancer, then fire up the wife’s nasty hotmelt gun..So It was much easier than standard ones.. The best part you can add or take weight as needed from the inside of the dome.. just squirt hotmelt  opposite the heavy side, until there is no heavy side... 

99022D4C-4015-401F-B7ED-000EFFA75A6F.jpeg

• Like 9

Looks like the same model as mine. Wasn't free 😪  Did your life flash before your eyes trying to buff the blade on a wheel? Mine did.20210612_202944.thumb.jpg.94b839f4fe050828b04a3d1bb1080507.jpg

Edited by Trevor Andersen
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Looks like the same model as mine. Wasn't free 😪  Did your life flash before your eyes trying to buff the blade on a wheel? Mine did.

I started out on the Power buffer and then I had a premonition that the fan blade was going to fly up in my face and cut my throat causing me to bleed out before I got upstairs to call 911.. So instead I proceeded to rub my ass off until I got tired and then the next day did it again.. I use Maguires 110 in the beginning and then finished off with 220.. which is what you see in the picture.. I never cared for Silver Swan’s until I finish this one .. They are really well made with an artistic flair.. supposedly a woman designed it which eventually helped save the company when things got rough.. anyway I really like it now.. Some thing about polishing that blade for three hours may have something to do with it.. I would like to get a new decal for it.. If you don’t have one maybe we can go in together and contact Donald Coleman..  fyi...your front chrome guard needs to be turned 90° so the wires lineup properly with the rest of the cage.. 

DCD570E5-E634-491B-85BD-2CA203659431.jpeg

Edited by David A Cherry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David A Cherry said:

I started out on the Power buffer and then I had a premonition that the fan blade was going to fly up in my face and cut my throat causing me to bleed out before I got upstairs to call 911.. So instead I proceeded to rub my ass off until I got tired and then the next day did it again.. I use Maguires 110 in the beginning and then finished off with 220.. which is what you see in the picture.. I never cared for Silver Swan’s until I finish this one .. They are really well made with an artistic flair.. supposedly a woman designed it which eventually helped save the company when things got rough.. anyway I really like it now.. Some thing about polishing that blade for three hours may have something to do with it.. I would like to get a new decal for it.. If you don’t have one maybe we can go in together and contact Donald Coleman..  fyi...your front chrome guard needs to be turned 90° so the wires lineup properly with the rest of the cage.. 

DCD570E5-E634-491B-85BD-2CA203659431.jpeg

Ah yes I forgot that was the wrong photo. I fixed the cage the first time I posted that to the old forum and was told haha. My decal looks slightly worse than the one in the photo. I hadnt planned on it but I might be intersted in getting a new one if it isn't too steep. Here is info on the woman that designed the swan. She became a fairly prominent woman in the Jewish community. 

http://collections.americanjewisharchives.org/ms/ms0745/ms0745.html

FB_IMG_1666315199491.thumb.jpg.1d1e858d580c9965f72ec29577b0348f.jpg

• Like 1

I restored the same model years ago with the suffix C. That model is well constructed,  and I love the look of it. The thought of restoring another, I don't know about that. 🙂

fans 1 4507.jpg

P1520900.JPG

P1520980.JPG

P1530014.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, David A Cherry said:

..OK.. sadly not free to you, but it was to me.. So am I bragging or complaining?  Well again sadly I’m bragging.. but there is good news.. FYI ...after a high polishing job the blade got out of balance so I made a custom arbor for my Du-bro prop balancer, then fire up the wife’s nasty hotmelt gun..So It was much easier than standard ones.. The best part you can add or take weight as needed from the inside of the dome.. just squirt hotmelt  opposite the heavy side, until there is no heavy side... 

That is nice, love the look of that chocolate brown finish.

6 hours ago, David A Cherry said:

Free Silver Swan

Every now and then, I'm
    given a free fan too.

03f4816cbb4bff4418760adcc33950ad.jpeg.09905406c07025f7871b6c6eb4b5b80c.jpeg

BTW, David,
           beautiful Swan!

Twin transformer 3 speed with sardine can capacitor. Be prepared when you buy one to fully restore. That spring steel plate for snug fan motor pivot is restrained by a pin, and oh what a joy to re-install.   🙂

SignalVents_ 040.jpg

SignalVents_ 031.jpg

P1520969.JPG

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

I restored the same model years ago with the suffix C. That model is well constructed,  and I love the look of it. The thought of restoring another, I don't know about that. 🙂

Actually the C model is the one I have so nevermind on the tag reproduction I guess. 

I made a jig for that tension spring plate from a cut down 2x4 scrap, some push in threads and bolts. Worked well but it is an annoying fan to restore and reassemble for sure.

48 minutes ago, Trevor Andersen said:

I made a jig for that tension spring plate from a cut down 2x4 scrap, some push in threads and bolts. Worked well but it is an annoying fan to restore and reassemble for sure.

I can't remember exactly how I compressed that spring plate to slide in the pin, but I know I said a few fowl words during the process.

My bet is David took the cover off the bottom of the base, looked inside, and put the cover back on. Smart man. Fact Jack.

These are great fans with very interesting history.  (Herstory?) Anyway, mine has a fabricated stainless steel grill on the front. It was cheaper to make than have it chromed.

(I'm probably not going to make anymore of these!) I could use a proper motor decal, too. Mine also has some fair amount of wear in the oscillating pivot. Not sure what to do about that.

IMG_20221021_074520695_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

These are great fans with very interesting history.  (Herstory?) Anyway, mine has a fabricated stainless steel grill on the front. It was cheaper to make than have it chromed.

(I'm probably not going to make anymore of these!) I could use a proper motor decal, too. Mine also has some fair amount of wear in the oscillating pivot. Not sure what to do about that.

IMG_20221021_074520695_HDR.jpg

FWIW....For those with simulation chrome needs (circulator guards, etc.) 

SUPER CHROME PLUS | UMS-10671 | Prismatic Powders

12 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

I can't remember exactly how I compressed that spring plate to slide in the pin, but I know I said a few fowl words during the process.

My bet is David took the cover off the bottom of the base, looked inside, and put the cover back on. Smart man. Fact Jack.

Before I made the jig I was trying to muscle on the plate and it flew off and made a ping sound almost the same as the M1 Garand rifle when the clip is ejected. Then I said, I need a jig.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jason stever said:

See

Do you want to buy one? If memory serves me right, I can make this 12" model appear before your very eyes complete, but unrestored. The only catch is you're not going to get it cheap or free. 

2105370844_fans14507.thumb.jpg.7999c8b9485125f1bd2d6a988a0a8c1a.jpg

P1520980.thumb.JPG.3dfff0216601151b2704b71d05cd0487.jpg

29 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Do you want to buy one? If memory serves me right, I can make this 12" model appear before your very eyes complete, but unrestored. The only catch is you're not going to get it cheap or free. 

2105370844_fans14507.thumb.jpg.7999c8b9485125f1bd2d6a988a0a8c1a.jpg

P1520980.thumb.JPG.3dfff0216601151b2704b71d05cd0487.jpg

Haha, Thanks Russ! But I already have a 1934-35 12” one. I was just curious about the ratio of 10-12s. Beautiful fan by the way

They aren't falling out of the sky, but they aren't rare as hen's teeth either.  I know where a 12" is sitting right now, and I know where a 10" is sitting....right now. 🙂

12" fans are more scarce than 10".

If you're buying online, the 12" has a 3 speed rotary switch with selector knob,

The 10" has a one speed  toggle switch.

(If seller does not show model number, the switch is a give away in their pictures)

On 10/20/2022 at 1:28 PM, David A Cherry said:

My goodness that looks beautiful. Nice work. 👍