Two projects for this week.

Bill Dunlap

OK, here's a short video. I have the blade from my Verity's Junior on it and no cage.  If it didn't have different watt readings between speeds, I couldn't tell the difference. So I used my Variac to adjust speed just for demonstration. It runs fine on standard voltage. Very smooth.  This is the first C frame I've had in my shop. The gearbox is pure genius. For those who haven't seen them, there are only two gears, one inside the other, an eccentric mounted on the shaft with no fixed connection between the rotor shaft and gears. The center gear orbits inside the outer gear and processes one tooth per revolution dramatically reducing the rpm. A cross shaped piece connects the inner gear to the rotating arm with an oval cut out in the center. This oval serves also to control the motion of the eccentric. Just genius. The pin that connects the rotating arm to the C frame is actually a spring, which acts to prevent damage to the mechanism should it encounter an obstacle. It will just pop out of the groove.

Edited by Bill Dunlap
  • Like 3

Wow, that paint job looks fabulous Bill.  Did you make that cord holder on the front cover? I have the same fan and I get very good separation between the two speeds so I'm wondering if there is an issue with the speed coil in your fan.

I have a C Frame and had the speed coil rewound.    Same scenario,   almost zero difference in speed but there is a difference in readings. 

9 hours ago, Bill Dunlap said:

OK, here's a short video. I have the blade from my Verity's Junior on it and no cage.  If it didn't have different watt readings between speeds, I couldn't tell the difference. So I used my Variac to adjust speed just for demonstration. It runs fine on standard voltage. Very smooth.  This is the first C frame I've had in my shop. The gearbox is pure genius. For those who haven't seen them, there are only two gears, one inside the other, an eccentric mounted on the shaft with no fixed connection between the rotor shaft and gears. The center gear orbits inside the outer gear and processes one tooth per revolution dramatically reducing the rpm. A cross shaped piece connects the inner gear to the rotating arm with an oval cut out in the center. This oval serves also to control the motion of the eccentric. Just genius. The pin that connects the rotating arm to the C frame is actually a spring, which acts to prevent damage to the mechanism should it encounter an obstacle. It will just pop out of the groove.

I've been looking for the name of this particular gear application and the closet I've found is called the Tusi couple. However, that design is really intended to act as a crank and rod converting rotating motion into linear motion. But it does feature an internal gear on an eccentric rotating inside another gear with internal teeth, so the principle is the same.

Tusi Couple...it's the best I've come up with.

Becker and Stowe use the words concentric and eccentric in patent descriptions relating to the gear arrangement. There may be other references there. I just breezed over the descriptions.

1498392801247396921-00867914 (storage.googleapis.com)

1498409628279048311-00924601 (storage.googleapis.com)

1498385094272078276-01012110 (storage.googleapis.com)