Bayley-Lee Stuff

Russ Huber

Not too long ago Steve Rockwell & I were making a diligent attempt to connect the dots with motor patent owner Joseph Lee and Levi Wing and the 1908 Bayley-Lee concern.

Steve with his talent with directories had something with what I understood of Joseph Lee's trail of locations, or possible locations in the 19th. I get a little hurrah with stumbling on Lee's 94 filing motor patent. Beyond that, I have failed to find what connects Lee's motor patent to Edison.....Wing....and the later Bayley-Lee concern. Steve shared a dated June of 1900 brief article with the Levi Wing concern having DESK fans on the market. Despite the lack of validation, I have a firm gut belief Wing had those Beauty desk fans on the market in 1900.

Just how the Bayley-Lee concern marketed the bulb ridden Baylee-Lee desk fans in 08 +(?)...........? An AFCA member who owns one of these shared a Baylee-Lee advertisement with me. It is legit. I can't find anything in electrical trade of these fans on the market in any shape or form. That advertisement leaned heavy on the Edison system. 

There is more than one mention of Joseph Lee connected to Edison and his system in the books. However, the specifics of Joseph Lee's connection to Edison remain a mystery. Joseph Lee himself remains a mystery.

Who or what organization did Joseph Lee design that motor for in the mid 90s?? Kind of ironic it is shaped like a bulb. Steve nailed a 96 image of fan motors in an exhibition presented by the Edison Electric Illumination Co. Do you think we could get enough clarity to validate what those fan motors were? No.

If Steve wants to add more, or correct something I said wrong, please have at it.

US521799-drawings-page-1.png

US521799-drawings-page-2.png

electricalage25newy_0161.jpg

unnamed.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

Thanks Kim. Notice the emphasis on Edison (Bulbs- Incandescent lamps) with the 08 Bayley-Lee concern as opposed to the Levi Wing 1900 Beauty examples. Both have what appears to be the Joseph Lee motor patent issued in 94.

Keep in mind, there is no proof I am aware of any of the L. J. Wing Beauty examples exist, or for that matter, were manufactured.

electricalage25newy_0161.jpg

4.JPG

IMG_6510.thumb.JPG.70aa9c2bc6dfd29008fbdd21a880567c.jpg

IMG_6505.thumb.JPG.abf68eaed3a3ae83840e7204a912982f.jpg

unnamed.png

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim Henderson said:

Would this be considered a "flamp"?😉

I would call it capitalizing on the Edison name. Or it appears a short-lived attempt to do so. George Baylee's forte was a long-established lighting manufacturer. His fan motor adventure had to be short lived. According to the advertisement shared with me there were 2 specific models. I didn't see the tall loaded with electrical hardware with bulbs example in that advertisement. Just how that model came about, h ell if I know.

• Russ Huber changed the title to Bayley-Lee Stuff

L & L ...

Screenshot_20230118-153619_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ce578d1c1e4bba728a6c7a1cd4d84569.jpg

Yeah, yeah, last name with
one, first with the other...

Who'd do such a thing?

Edited by Jim Kovar

I know they’re kinda rare and all, but IMHO those fans are fugly as h-e-double-toothpicks.  Especially that god-awful Edison presentation abomination.

• Haha 2

On 1/19/2023 at 5:50 PM, Doug Wendel said:

...those fans are fugly as h-e-double-toothpicks.  Especially that god-awful Edison presentation abomination.

Fugly,...
    agreed,...
        but for one,...
            I'd give my left...

little piggy and cry
wee-wee-wee all the
way home!  797515300_big_grin(1).gif.ee91c9ff05bbc7356a7cf540e631fdcb.gif

• 2 months later...