Very cool fan

Bill Dunlap

21 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

That is a physically larger motor than what I used. Just so you're aware. All dimensions except shaft diameter are larger.

Got it. 

7 hours ago, Bill Dunlap said:

That is bizarre. The description in the patent even more so. Very hard to wrap your head around this thing.

Yup. And conceived 1880s.

I've ordered this.

image.png.3c73f492bced350146b2796f609a9afe.png

I think it might make a cool rocket fan with contra-rotating toroidal blades on it. And also a new motor and a base from some obscure art deco fan from the thirties. 

Onward and upward.

• Like 1

I think if you read the entire post, you'll see that fan designers were way ahead of the curve many decades ago, and we've acknowledged that. I don't plan to "invent" anything, but perhaps put a couple of ideas together that haven't been done before.

27 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

I don't plan to "invent" anything, but perhaps put a couple of ideas together that haven't been done before.

🙂

vb-new-023.jpg

image.png.3c73f492bced350146b2796f609a9afe.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The initial concept of pairing contra rotating blade device with toroidal blade design is continuing with this experimental fan I've built. Not quite in prototype stage yet. I'll need to try some more ideas before I get there. I had hoped that the combination of these two ideas would produce a fan of average noise with a rather significant increase in air movement. Not there yet....    So, there's more to play with. For example, reducing the rpm has a significant effect on noise, so If I could increase air movement while keep the speed low, I could see a net improvement over other designs. That is usually accomplished by increasing blade surface area (more wings, typically or just larger) and/or increasing pitch. In the meantime, I will make new wings of a more tradition type which does incorporate more surface area by sweeping the wing back in the opposite the direction of rotation. That should happen next week or so. 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've completed the prototype phase of the design of the Contra-rotating fan. I may try one or two different blade configurations in the near future. But as it stands now, inspired by the fan I discovered while browsing the net, this is now a functioning fan.

Specs. AC/DC operation with AC adaptor or small 12 volt battery. Three speeds utilizing a permanent magnet DC brushed motor providing 1100, 1600, and 3000 rpm, consuming 18, 21, and 29 watts respectively. Contra rotating function is provided by friction drive in a separate attached gearbox between the motor and blades, using friction drive instead of gears for more quiet operation. 

The video chronicles the development, and experiment phases of this work.

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by Bill Dunlap
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Here's my take on a drone motor fan.

Let the baseball comments begin. Yep, I used a baseball bat for the fuselage. So, did I make it to first base? Home run, or did I strike out? What is unique about this one is that it is fully self contained. The battery is in the base. I'll have to test to see how long it runs on a charge. Instead of a cage, I built what is best described as a scatter shield. These motors can run 20-40k rpm. It's a bit scarey..

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

On 6/9/2023 at 5:46 PM, Bill Dunlap said:

Well, I've completed the prototype phase of the design of the Contra-rotating fan. I may try one or two different blade configurations in the near future. But as it stands now, inspired by the fan I discovered while browsing the net, this is now a functioning fan.

Specs. AC/DC operation with AC adaptor or small 12 volt battery. Three speeds utilizing a permanent magnet DC brushed motor providing 1100, 1600, and 3000 rpm, consuming 18, 21, and 29 watts respectively. Contra rotating function is provided by friction drive in a separate attached gearbox between the motor and blades, using friction drive instead of gears for more quiet operation. 

The video chronicles the development, and experiment phases of this work.

Cheers,

Bill

Page:Flight - 1941-12-11 - Frederick Lanchester - Contra-Props - page 418+419.pdf/1 - Wikisource, the free online library

Frederick W. Lanchester - Wikipedia

PowerPoint Presentation (enginehistory.org)

Edited by Russ Huber

32 minutes ago, Bill Dunlap said:

The base is the Huber approved super root beer powder coat. 

The strange thing/injustice about that Super Root Beer powder is it never can be photographed as nice as it looks in person. Pristine powders have a powder selection menu that rocks.

Keep up the good innovative work, Bill.