Hueglin Air Circulator 1934 - Trying to get a sense of the value

Dan Benson

Hello,

I am actually a photographer, not a fan collector. I have been working in a photo studio in NYC that has this fan sitting in the corner. The studio is closing down due to a rent increase, and they said I could sell it if I could find a buyer, and I have asked a few "antique fan dealers" that showed up in my google searches. But so far I have not been able to find anyone who can help me. So I am trying here. I can send photos. It works and does not have any major cosmetic issues. What is it worth, ballpark?

1935364579-airmaster19342.jpg.b4002ddfb8

Dan Benson,

You are a photographer, so please post some photos.

There's not much of a set range of values, especially without specifics, and the patent drawings are no basis beyond basic identification of the fan... and they are free, whereas you'd prefer a sincere assessment/guess I'm sure, and perhaps you'll attract some offers.....

image.thumb.jpeg.0b17f3b532794677a357dd78c6fe591e.jpeg

They have taken it apart and put into storage, so this is all I have for now. I can assemble it and take more photo if needed.

century vinatge fan-2.jpg

century vinatge fan.jpg

century vinatge fan-3.jpg

century vinatge fan-5.jpg

century vinatge fan-6.jpg

century vinatge fan-4.jpg

There’s one of these on eBay right now and it’s been for sale for more than a year.  BIN price is $1000.  That’s my favorite pedestal fan.  I’ve seen one come up for $300 but condition was poor.  So there you go.   Who knows for sure?  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225106524175?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=KCGhnSoiTIC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=fr0xBQWzQga&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks John,

At least I have a starting point now. Probably gonna try to sell it locally for $500-ish

Cheers,
Dan

It's all interesting...  There's a gutted thread in the Old Forum for Century Compressor and Motor... and a real nice AirMaster history at Antique Fan Parts, credited to MK Research, so you know it's thorough and reliable...

image.jpeg.a068036dc810f35c0f2d46440cc07d06.jpeg

........"assembling fans"........

37 minutes ago, Steve Rockwell said:

It's all interesting...  There's a gutted thread in the Old Forum for Century Compressor and Motor... and a real nice AirMaster history at Antique Fan Parts, credited to MK Research, so you know it's thorough and reliable...

I am trying to figure out how Dan came up with the "Hueglin" name? Does the pedestal pole have an Airmaster plate on it with the design patent on it? If it does have an Airmaster name plate, the Century concern must of outsourced from Airmaster. The motor sure reeks of another outsource, that being Kingston-Conley.

2047968238_centuryvinatgefan-5.thumb.jpg.b784fb649ab5bb48f2abaa44cba99e8d.jpg

SwitchofDeath1.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Someone that I email these photos to mentioned the name, like I said, I am photographer trying to get some information about the value of this fan.

Guys, I have been accruing found saved information regarding Century Motor & Compressor NYC for a while, info is few and far between, I gutted the old thread because new information came to light altering the time thread, so I'll try and get this together and post all I have this weekend, sometimes I need a reminder like this.

The base is "Hueglin-esque", but absolutely no relation to either inventor/designer Hueglin or Airmaster Corp., other than a similar appearance on the base design.

1 minute ago, Mike Kearns said:

The base is "Hueglin-esque", but absolutely no relation to either inventor/designer Hueglin or Airmaster Corp., other than a similar appearance on the base design.

Well, if I was Herman Hueglin, I would consider the pedestal a violation of my territory. One thing "appears" fairly certain, Century of St. Louis is out of the parade.

On 3/23/2023 at 11:25 AM, Steve Rockwell said:

Makes me wonder if they simply outsourced the parts and slapped them together?

Dan,   It might be instructive to see exactly what motor control was provided... Both the edge of a switch housing and a pull chain show in the photo... If it's convenient, when the unit is uncrated, can you share illustrative photos and info?... Noticing the pull chain I immediately assumed levolier switch, but seeing the K-C gear on other circulators such as from the 16th post,

image.thumb.jpeg.1533ea2240def02ab4358c7f53c271f2.jpeg

and seeing the presumed edge of a single toggle on yours, raises the question.....

2 hours ago, Steve Rockwell said:

Dan,   It might be instructive to see exactly what motor control was provided... Both the edge of a switch housing and a pull chain show in the photo... If it's convenient, when the unit is uncrated, can you share illustrative photos and info?... Noticing the pull chain I immediately assumed levolier switch, but seeing the K-C gear on other circulators such as from the 16th post,

image.thumb.jpeg.1533ea2240def02ab4358c7f53c271f2.jpeg

and seeing the presumed edge of a single toggle on yours, raises the question.....

Hi Steve,  Dan the man here!  Psssssssst........all this motor has is a 2 speed pull chain Levolier switch. The 2 speeds are gained through the windings. Notice this Century Kingston-Conley motor is a 6 pole wind! That is a residence easy going speed of 1100 RPM top speed with a second lower speed of 800 RPM. 

1417249091_centuryvinatgefan-5.jpg.b4b46154b189cae038cec58efbc16617.jpg

900708006_centuryvinatgefan-6.thumb.jpg.1e0b34b6a3f2163e07b8f89fad088e6b.jpg

RPM.v1.jpg

Notice this KMC (Krieg McClain) circulator Kingston-Conley motor has a RADICAL 4 pole (high speed) 6 pole (low speed) 2 speed RPM change gained through the motor windings.  Terry Fisher owns it. Check out the two motor speeds on the tag, 1725 RPM high speed, and 1125 RPM low speed!  With the deep pitch Torrington blade the fan literally kicks back when fired up on high speed. I owned it before Terry, trust me, I know it for fact! Lol. 

SwitchofDeath1.jpg.b8457fbb63956978af9c3f2447fe74c5.jpg

Risk1.jpg

Hello All,

Thanks for all the info, and I am happy to post more photos as soon as I have a minute. Having said that, my original post was to 

try and get a sense of what this fan might be worth. I have gathered that a fair asking price would be around $500. Does that seem right?

3 hours ago, Dan Benson said:

Hello All,

Thanks for all the info, and I am happy to post more photos as soon as I have a minute. Having said that, my original post was to 

try and get a sense of what this fan might be worth. I have gathered that a fair asking price would be around $500. Does that seem right?

You opened a can of worms for fan folk. As to value, I guess the market will tell you if you're high or not. Try posting locally on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. I'm in the nyc area, and that's where I look for any deals. Good luck...

Can of worms is right, I was just asking for an opinion about what the fan might be worth.... not an economics 101 lesson or where I can post this thing for sale. I mean I am not trying to be rude... but is it really that hard of a question to answer? Something like "Yes $500 sounds about right" or "That is way too much/little" or I would even be OK with "There really is no way to tell from the information you have provided". I mean I came here to get the expert opinion of Fan fans... Thanks anyway... Have a nice day.

As I like to tell sellers at a flea market who don’t know or refuse to set a price. I can’t be the seller and buyer.  You’re asking a reasonable question, but you’re asking it to the same pool of buyers that you hope to sell it to.  This happens a lot here and all the time on FB. You’ll get a wide range of opinions depending on the person’s motivation. “It’s of interest to me”= low price or “I can’t buy it but I don’t want anyone else to buy it either”= high value.  Get it?

The price is very situational. If it was a desk fan that could be easily shipped it would be one thing, but it’s not. It’s a big heavy fan that 1) many people don’t have the room for, and 2) your pool is limited to local buyers who are willing to go into the city to pick it up. That’s a small pool. Oh and 3) someone willing to spend $100, let alone 500 on a large pedestal.  All 3 of those points need to align to find that one buyer.  

Youd probably be able to get $500 at a NYC gallery to that one buyer who want it for their loft apartment.  But I think you’ll be challenged to find a buyer to pay that and that’ll ultimately affect your price. 

No harm in asking $500, you never know, but I’d be prepared to drop far below that. It is unrestored after all. 

If it were far closer, not in the city, I’d probably be interested, but not at your asking price. 
I hope that helps to explain.  Never ask a potential buyer to set a price. 

44 minutes ago, Dan Benson said:

Can of worms is right, I was just asking for an opinion about what the fan might be worth.... not an economics 101 lesson or where I can post this thing for sale. I mean I am not trying to be rude... but is it really that hard of a question to answer? Something like "Yes $500 sounds about right" or "That is way too much/little" or I would even be OK with "There really is no way to tell from the information you have provided". I mean I came here to get the expert opinion of Fan fans... Thanks anyway... Have a nice day.

Your post elicited some side talk about something that interests fan collectors, ie fans. Go figure. This is our forum to discuss these things that interest us, and you are at liberty to ignore if not germane to your request. I imagine if I posted a question about a Leica i got at a garage sale on a photography group I wouldn't get in a huff if it sparked a side conversation or didnt fully and satisfactorily give me a definitive answer.  Please be courteous and gracious, as you are a guest on this forum, and we are not professional appraisers. Anytime you have to say "I'm not trying to be rude", chances are you are in fact being rude.

Nevertheless, your price evaluation was answered early on. What I was alluding to about the marketplace was to qualify that you can set it at what you want; if someone bites, it's the right price. Lane elaborated further as to such contingencies, and value is a different thing than price. 

So since you're demanding a direct answer, I would not pay a fraction of your asking price...

• Thanks 1

Lane, Thank you that was a really great and informed reply, much appreciated. Roger, again not trying to be rude, but sorry but I was hardly demanding. Having said that. I do get it now, regarding the folks on the site, and I want to thank everyone for taking the time... I will move along now, and we can probably close this post before I get myself into any more trouble. Have a good one....

Thought I posted this before..... guess in actuality I rejected posting it before.....

image.thumb.jpeg.a6052962bd92ac60ac80463485de4bd7.jpeg

Good reply three spots back, Lane.....