Has anone ever tried this bearing fix?

Tim Babcock

I have a R&M 3804 where the front bearing seems to be bit out so it knocks a bit when it runs. Before I try to buy a front bearing and housing I thought I would try using a round punch to swage the bearing brass just a bit. Then use 400 grit sand paper on a dowel to remove a bit and try the spindle and keep doing it till the spindle is free but tight? I know its not ideal but it may work. It would not be a 100 year fix but for a fan you only run once in a while.

Hmmm, never heard of this trick. I'd like to see pictures of how this is done with before and after videos to hear the difference (if convenient).

I've taken out bearings and drilled a shallow hole where the bearing was worn most. Then with a punch I've knocked the bottom of the shallow hole until the clearance is taken up. With modern oils, this fix could last as long as the original bearing did. Alternatively, just rotating the bearing 180 degrees is sometimes enough to quiet a noisy fan. Another alternative is to replace the bearing and in some cases an Oilite bearing can be sourced, say, from McMaster Carr that will turn your fan into a maintenance free fan.

• Like 1

If I had a small lathe I would try to drill out the old bearing and make an insert and solder it in place. I know that would work well but more tools and a new skill set to learn.

I would like to see your first idea In practice.You would have to watch the outside diameter as it may push out too.Interesting.

The turn the bearing upside down is a common quick fix and drill a new hole for wick.

• Like 1

3804 was my 1st fan purchase in college  for $5.00 in 1970. The church secretary had it and an Emerson 2010 in the closet. Wouldn't let the Emmy go cause it ran too good. 3804 had been run dry and front bearing was shot. Rotor dragged the stator laminations and it got hot enough to fry an egg. I took it to an armature shop locally and they said no problem. They turned the rotor down so it no longer dragged on the stator and pronounced it well. Quiet but still ran hot as he**. I took the fan apart again, loosened the front bearing set screw and with a punch & hammer, removed the bearing. I took the bearing to my local hardware store . The owner looked at the bearing then at me and shook his head. Nothing like this available. But, let me get my caliper out he said. He took the bearing to the back of the shop and soon returned with 2 bushings for a skilsaw motor. same I.D. & O.D. but not quite even 1/2 the length of the R&M bushing. This is the best I can do for you, was his answer.  I took 2 of them which were a snug fit,  one in front & one in the rear of the bushing housing which left enough room between them for the oil wick to make contact with the motor shaft. I reassembled the fan, the rotor now in allignment with the stator & the fan ran faster and cool & I used it then all through my college years. Now as a shelf hanger in the barn, it still ran good last time I got it down and powered it up.

In my younger days, I had an automotive machinist friend who had a small enough tool to knurl them like they did valve guides. I’m not sure anyone does this anymore.