Saving the Manhattan Project.

Bill Dunlap

I received a request to reproduce a Manhattan fan cage using a sample. When I opened the box, I was met with a real problem.

The center piece was a stamped ringimage.thumb.jpeg.ab51564a68dcc086d0d117fd84e640b6.jpeg

instead of a solid ring. I don't have a punch press and tooling to make these, so If I couldn't figure out a way to fab this up, I would have to return the cage and not accept this project. Searching around my toolbox, I found a huge tube socket for the sprocket nut on one of my bikes. It was the right size.

image.thumb.jpeg.69a9161dcc0e42b69ec6da4fbcb07d09.jpeg

I rounded the end of it on my belt sander and radiused the inside with my moto tool.

IMG_20240321_093957963_HDR.thumb.jpg.48cd2de610a9cbd2b56e5122d13d50f7.jpg

Taking some sheet brass, I measured it up and cut it to size.

image.thumb.jpeg.7417dfb58c147e10944f48d1333e0c5b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.99347373798eb25afeee8fb94bdb5d7e.jpeg

Using hammer and dolly method, I folded the edges around the tube socket, stopping to frequently anneal the brass so it wouldn't crack and split.

image.thumb.jpeg.09ebda7b0124e00b0cde692201b92f30.jpeg

At this point I used my drill press to push the center through inside the tube socket.

Now I had something that would work.

image.thumb.jpeg.01404a4a5a3be24a8a7cea110de81b55.jpeg

Success. I saved the project. The rest is just like any other cage, with rings and spokes.

image.thumb.jpeg.53ee08d7e989f3ecf13f0bc7a8a70442.jpeg

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 10

Hey Bill,  I need one of those cages here in Arkansas if you'd be up for that exercise again. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I’d venture to say Bill wins the “MacGyver” award this month !!  Well done Bill.  

I sneaked a peak at him working on his newest project……..making a Tesla Cybertruck out of an old gas cylinder !   Stay tuned !!……..

IMG_1042.jpeg

IMG_1044.jpeg

• Like 1

Your work is always top shelf and you just kicked it up a notch!   Well done Bill.   

An outstanding and super creative thinking to get a wonderful outcome.   Wow.  Superb work and thank you so much for posting this for all of us to learn.  

OK, so now I'm even more impressed by your craftsmanship (if that were possible, Bill). Very clever indeed!

Hey Bill,

I'm always impressed by your work.  I have one of your Emerson open ring cages.

Have you ever made or repaired brass Emerson cages (e.g. 11xxx - 21xxx models) -- the ones with the big lead center blob holding the spokes together under the badge?  I have one of these cages that has lost it's center blob (the wires were loose in it, so I melted it off).  It looks to me it would require a jig to hold the spokes in place and some sort of sand or silicone mold to pour a new lead center blob.  I've never heard on someone making these cages or doing such a repair, but I have need.

1 hour ago, Doug Wendel said:

Hey Bill,

I'm always impressed by your work.  I have one of your Emerson open ring cages.

Have you ever made or repaired brass Emerson cages (e.g. 11xxx - 21xxx models) -- the ones with the big lead center blob holding the spokes together under the badge?  I have one of these cages that has lost it's center blob (the wires were loose in it, so I melted it off).  It looks to me it would require a jig to hold the spokes in place and some sort of sand or silicone mold to pour a new lead center blob.  I've never heard on someone making these cages or doing such a repair, but I have need.

I'll stick my neck out here and reply to the question of a mold to cast lead in. Molten lead is not really all that hot. I've used molds made of wood in the past. There will be a bit of smoke but nothing so bad that it ruins the casting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Van said:

I'll stick my neck out here and reply to the question of a mold to cast lead in. Molten lead is not really all that hot. I've used molds made of wood in the past. There will be a bit of smoke but nothing so bad that it ruins the casting.

Let me correct what I've just stated above. I have used wood as a mold for molten BABBIT, not lead. Molten lead is much hotter. My apologies. 

Also, how do you edit a posting here????

• Like 1

I haven't had to make one of those yet. I have repaired loose ones by adding solder to them while heating just the spoke. Works great.