The Crystal Fan is done

Bill Dunlap

Here it is, fully complete

and functional. Look for a video in the next few days about this one in greater detail. Man, those Monster Energy drinks are really stimulating my imagination.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Bill Arfmann said:

Thanks so much Bill.  The Chick Corea & Gary Burton soundtrack is a perfect fit!

For some reason Alan Holdsworth and guitarists like John Mclaughlin come to mind every time Bill posts his videos.  You're doing some cool funky stuff with those little mighty mouse motors, Bill. 🙂

Edited by Russ Huber

That's Too Cool Bill! I have been waiting to that fan finished .

Thanks for the props. True story, In 2006, I was living on Kauai. Chick Corea and Gary Burton kicked off their "Crystal Silence" world tour there and I was lucky enough to be able to attend. It was at a small high school auditorium, very intimate. I took my then wife and step daughter. They loved it. Anyway, during one particularly technical piece, Gary missed his cue and just stopped. Chick counted to three, and they re-entered the piece and pulled it off perfectly. The crowd went nuts. Not because they screwed up, but because of their smooth recovery. I've always remembered that as a life lesson. We screw up. It's gonna happen. It's all about the recovery. I screwed this piece up royally and I had to cut it all apart and re-assemble it. But it came out just like I wanted in the end.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Here's some examples of my failures working with clear acrylic plastics. The two outside ones were motor pillars. The left one cracked when trying to glue it to the base and motor. No idea why. The replacement I was making began to craze as I used a mini drum sander to reduce the wall thickness. It got too hot, I think. The center ones were going to go inside these pillars and I attempted to drill all the way through them. The first got hot and cracked longitudinally, and the other began to craze inside along the hole's wall. I used water to cool it while drilling, but it did this anyway. I finally got the knack. Drill with very sharp drill bits, slowly, and with lots of water to cool 

image.thumb.jpeg.54f054a27fff1bec6af760d4383e2e2d.jpeg

Here's the super glue I use. This stuff is the bomb. I got it at Home Depot. The spray accelerator sets the glue in 5 seconds. Otherwise, it's just like the super glue you know and love. 

Cheers,

Bill

image.thumb.jpeg.f850b910b476feaafab2df74b1c2a9c0.jpeg

Edited by Bill Dunlap