Hello again, and a Westinghouse All Brass

Martin Carena-Santiago

Hi all, been active in the facebook groups but been a while since I posted on the forums. Figured I'd take this opportunity to say hi again and post my recent find. Drove 3.5 hours and paid $20 for it, and man is it rough. I have torn the fan down and electrically everything ohms out ok. I have a source for a majority of the parts it will need except for the cage and struts, but that will be a problem for the future after I have it at least running haha! Microdate says 1909, trying to clean up the original nickel/oxide finish, but I'm thinking this one might be a loss. Might just polish it all to a shiney brass, we'll see...

20240330_203553.jpg

20240330_203600.jpg

20240330_202852.jpg

20240330_215637.jpg

17119444660151288079463204847461.jpg

10 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Does a guy named Ed from Sartell, MN. ring a bell with that purchase?

Its ok if it was Ed. I was just going to point out he sold this first before the batch of three fans you drove to get, if in fact it was Ed's batch of fans you drove 3.5 hours to get. 🙂

412445143_7434369113295528_7553233983177655614_n.jpg

432839471_7605687592785286_4515032746191373705_n.jpg

How deep is the groove worn into your commutator? That is one thing to consider if your armature and stator are good. Bill Dunlap made and sold me a guard with banner and struts years back. His work is really nice. 

30 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Does a guy named Ed from Sartell, MN. ring a bell with that purchase?

That is who I bought it from yes! He had mentioned a fourth fan while I was there, what he told me was he didn't think he actually sold it and it might have still been around, we looked but couldn't find it. Shame I missed out on a 21646, especially with the ball detent oscillator! I only picked up the all brass from him, the other two were very rough. 

13 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

How deep is the groove worn into your commutator? That is one thing to consider if your armature and stator are good. Bill Dunlap made and sold me a guard with banner and struts years back. His work is really nice. 

Groove is fairly deep unfortunately, I have access to a full shop and may try to cut it down, not sure how those scars perpendicular to the segments were cut in, never seen a commutator wear like that.

20240401_001453.jpg

1 minute ago, Martin Carena-Santiago said:

That is who I bought it from yes! He had mentioned a fourth fan while I was there, what he told me was he didn't think he actually sold it and it might have still been around, we looked but couldn't find it. Shame I missed out on a 21646, especially with the ball detent oscillator! I only picked up the all brass from him, the other two were very rough. 

He sold it. Trust me. The only reason I mentioned his name openly on the forum is you won't be hearing from him again. He sold his little stash that must of dug out of someone's moldy basement. 

7 minutes ago, Martin Carena-Santiago said:

Groove is fairly deep unfortunately, I have access to a full shop and may try to cut it down, not sure how those scars perpendicular to the segments were cut in, never seen a commutator wear like that.

20240401_001453.jpg

You have enough meat left on that commutator to true it down within reason with a lathe. It takes about 10-15 minutes for a machinist to set up and true a commutator just so you know. I have had mine done at an automotive alternator/generator repair shop for a $10 bill. I watched him do it on and older lathe.

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

He sold it. Trust me. The only reason I mentioned his name openly on the forum is you won't be hearing from him again. He sold his little stash that must of dug out of someone's moldy basement. 

Gotcha. Still quite happy with the all brass, it definitely looks like it sat in a damp environment for the last 50 years, but it's my first one of these so I'd like to bring it back if I can!

21 minutes ago, Martin Carena-Santiago said:

20240401_001453.jpg

FWIW...just true the commutator. Don't go down too deep to remove those deep grooves, you'll lose too much copper.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

FWIW...just true the commutator. Don't go down too deep to remove those deep grooves, you'll lose too much copper.  

Sounds good, I figured as long as I kept it true trimming it down and undercut the mica it should be ok, especially as it likely won't be a daily runner. Sending the cap to Darryl Hudson for new brush holders, I'll have to tighten up and true the blade hub and remove and redo the bearing retainer for the front bearing in the meantime as it's far too loose....

Edited by Martin Carena-Santiago

Some progress on the all brass this weekend. Started working on polishing, ended up having to wet sand due to the rough surface of the brass. Not quite done yet, but gave it a quick hand polish and pretty happy with the progress considering it looked like the base next to it when I started.

17124626435866326318703433737124.jpg

• Like 3

Screenshot_20240407-222844_Chrome.thumb.jpg.484fabfe66b6db5d51ef156e9199d0d6.jpg

That reminded me of the
old blue-haired landlady
   I had many years ago.

She was a nice landlady!

She looked a lot like the
 lady in this stock photo
  I found on the inter-web.

images(68).jpeg.9ba9e048295dd4f7c0210bb8f674220b.jpeg

Edited by Jim Kovar
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the all brass. There is some minor pitting/deep scratches, but I guess I can let those slide with it being 115 years old haha.

20240416_184624.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on this project. Jerry Bravi worked his magic on the original blade, and the results speak for themselves 😮

20240424_203758.jpg

And another update. Thanks to Lane Shirey, I now have a correct early style cage for this fan. I test fit everything yesterday while I wait for my rear housing, honestly was a little unsure as to whether I would be able to bring this one back when I got it but here we are. 

20240427_204646.jpg

• Like 2