What to do with Emerson 79648-AP-G that's missing parts

David Hughes

I'd been saving a damaged Emerson 79648-AP-G for a raining day project. Unfortunately I discovered that I most likely accidently threw out its handle and the part of the base that I think is called the knuckle? Everything else is accounted for. The motor windings were damaged, that was what needed repair but, now that the other parts probably got thrown out when I moved I'm not sure what to do with it.

I bought it because I love my 77646-AS. Now I'm wondering if I should search for a damaged 79648-AP-G so I can at least use some of the remaining parts or if I should just search for the larger version of my 77646-AS, the 77648-AS. Thoughts?

I think I have an entire  79648 that runs.   I will look tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the offers and suggestions. For me half the fun is the act of restoring / repairing, so I'm not really looking for a fully functional model. I was hoping to locate the parts I was missing or even give my remaining parts to someone who would use them. I did notice a damaged one on an auction site that I'm debating making an offer on. 

speaking of restoring, my 77646-AS could do with a new cord from the base to the motor and a new felt bottom. Are there any places online that you would recommend for new wire that looks like the original?

Tony Clayton makes covered wire.   He’s here on this site.  I’d check him out here and message him.

Also Darryl Hudson always has some replacement wires.  He’s a machinist and does very good work. Check him out at Hudson Custom Machining.  

There are a few sites online, but to be honest Tony’s wire is far superior, Darryl’s is a step above the online stuff as well.  

You should definitely consider joining AFCA here.   It’s proved valuable to me.    

• Like 2