Bill Dunlap's fabulous work - Manhattan No. 3 reproduction cage and blade

David Kilnapp

Hello Friends:  You may recall that I recently acquired a second Manhattan No. 3 fan which was missing the cage and the blade. I inquired of Bill Dunlap (in Hawaii) if he might be willing to take on the job of fabricating a cage and a blade. You may have seen his post about how he came up with a clever jig to make the center ring for my Manhattan. Anyway, Today the original and reproduction cage and blade arrived in the mail. You'd be hard pressed to tell which are the originals and which are the reproductions. See the answer below.

IMG_5277.thumb.JPG.a1d0fab7e2984a41d5d946e50b155909.JPGIMG_5278.thumb.JPG.82b22ef0b3636479f9eb7fa538a6059b.JPG

The top picture is of the reproduction parts and the second picture is of the originals.

The blade that Bill made is perfectly balanced with not even the slightest vibration. While I won't divulge the price that Bill charged, I will tell you that his prices are more than reasonable (in fact, I tipped him because I felt that he didn't charge enough). I believe that Bill will entertain other jobs if you've a mind to inquire.

I'm so grateful for his willingness to share his talents and superb craftsmanship!

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 5

Beautiful job. What an amazing skill set to be able to make something like that essentially from scratch!

2 hours ago, David Kilnapp said:

I believe that Bill will entertain other jobs if you've a mind to inquire.

Bill is a skilled brass artisan.  I have some of his work. On top of all the above, he is a nice guy. 🙂