Westinghouse blade?

Louis Luu

I think the tank blade hub takes a 3/8" shaft, & 164864B takes a 5/16" shaft if I got my numbers correct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that's correct. I see what you're up to, but the only way you can get a fake 6 blade vane is by robbing a blade from another tank motor. If you were to drill out a stamped motor blade, you'd be left with not much wall thickness.

9 minutes ago, Nicholas Denney said:

Yes, that's correct. I see what you're up to, but the only way you can get a fake 6 blade vane is by robbing a blade from another tank motor. If you were to drill out a stamped motor blade, you'd be left with not much wall thickness.

No, I'm not faking a six blade vane.  I recently bought one with a mess up hub....poor soldering job.

• Haha 1

I will post some pictures when I get home.  Is the center dome area on the hub removable?  Perhaps, I can just fabricate the mess up dome area?  The brass six blade hub I'm currently looking at is not stamp from what I can tell.

16 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

How many poles in the motor?

Fan has not arrived yet.  When it does, I will open it up.  I compared the model number with the two I have.  Here is the tag.  The hub is soldered and can hopefully be fix.

image.thumb.png.1bea921d4f3fa6fb162272b7b8da4b1a.pngimage.thumb.png.88b37b1f3e8ed04c43a06e3371cd38b5.pngimage.thumb.png.23332c56d505bae9ffa35ecedc168fee.png

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

How many poles in the motor?

I have not open up the four and six blade version....are the poles visually different?  I'm not very knowledgeable with vane oscillators.

Edited by Louis Luu

I have not owned a six wing vane but I've had and own one six wing tank. Those have six poles and a matching rotor. I'm interested to see what the vane has.

7 minutes ago, Michael Rathberger said:

I have not owned a six wing vane but I've had and own one six wing tank. Those have six poles and a matching rotor. I'm interested to see what the vane has.

I will crack it open along with the four blade and take pictures.  I have two that are genuine six blade.  The third one....I took a gamble.  The owner let it go for a good price.  I made a low offer and was accepted.

Western Electric 12" Vane Oscillator 6 Brass Blades - Motor , Base & Blades Only | eBay

I was also conversing with him or her. It sold before I got to finalizing. 

Oh, I see. I thought about that one too but I didn't feel like that much of a project. If the blade was good I would already own it, even at 750. A Hawthorn 6 wing vane will be pretty cool.

3 minutes ago, Nicholas Denney said:

Oh, I see. I thought about that one too but I didn't feel like that much of a project. If the blade was good I would already own it, even at 750. A Hawthorn 6 wing vane will be pretty cool.

I just noticed the Hawthorn....will be interesting.  No harm done.

3 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

I just noticed the Hawthorn....will be interesting.  No harm done.

I have much more to worry about fan-wise for awhile yet, I have some needing parts that are so scarce I don't even know if anyone else has ever seen them.

Just now, Nicholas Denney said:

I have much more to worry about fan-wise for awhile yet, I have some needing parts that are so scarce I don't even know if anyone else has ever seen them.

I would love to see.  Right now, I am focused on bring motors/fans that have not made it into production.  There are plenty of people that are talented in fabricating parts.  I have followed and admire many people whose skill I can only dream of.  I have mention before their names before and collect their work.  I do realize that hand made parts is a dying art and collect them when I can.  These people do things I can't imagine....I truly admire their work and do a lot of daydreaming.

The fan is arriving today.  If time permits, I'll crack open the fan and post some pictures on the stator.  I have the majority of the vane components already done and will print some for the cage.

Does anyone out there have some Westinghouse/Hawthorn electrical trade or catalogue documentation or images to support a 6-wing 6-pole stator vane?  I just can't find anything to support them in the books. I have witnessed 6 wing residence tank stationaries in electrical trade. 

For those that own them, did you ever clock the blade speed with a strobe? If they are true 6 pole motors, top speed would be roughly 1150 RPM. The second speed would be 100 RPM less + or -.  If in fact your 6-wing tank vane oscillator has a 6-pole motor, how well does it oscillate on the lower speed?

There was a gentleman on the East Coast. Well known, well respected. He listed a correct 6 wing six pole Hawthorne vane several years back. As a new collector, Fred in my area had a 6 wing westy vane which also sported the six pole motor. Sadly, I only have a six wing tank but that vane interested me too....

The first 12" residence 6-pole 6-wing tank was introduced in 10.  There is some evidence to support the 6 wing vane oscillator introduced in 11 electrical trade. It is not specific to vane or mechanical oscillation, nor AC or DC, or both, but I know of no 6-wing 6-pole double lever mechanical oscillators. 

So far strangely enough, no images of a six-wing residence vane, yet.

content.v1 (68).jpg

Edited by Russ Huber

Always an interesting day.  Will find out what "Returned to facility for inspection" means.

image.png.3dc42839e3f18c9993db8ff1a4516a1f.png

Got a possible scammer who messaged me with offer for badge or both. I asked for picture. Then I proceeded to do an engine search of picture. Found out that fan being sold and person are living in two different states? This is the picture that was sent to me.

image.jpeg