Do You Leave Your Fans Running Unattended?

Mark Olson

Do You Leave Your Fans Running Unattended?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you leave your home with an antique fan running unattended?

• Yes
    • No

It really depends on the fan for me.  I have an Emerson hassock and an Emerson Longnose ceiling fan that I leave running 24/7, only turning them off to clean or oil.  Will shut them off when on vacation.  But some other fans I'll only run while in the room, and I have some that I will run only when I'm home (but I may be in a different room).

• Like 2

I try not to. Had a 12" GE QB running once while do things around the house. One of those plastic bags got sucked in the back and stopped the blade. I followed my nose to the burning smell. Since, been cautious, but we use them while in the room.

• Like 1

My antique ceiling fans run 24/7. Desk fans are on whenever we are home, but do run all night.

• Like 1

I will leave fans I've restored running, sometimes 24/7, in the summer months. If they run long hours, I check the lubrication every few weeks or so. The fans are the only form of air conditioning I have in much of my house.

I'm more comfortable leaving a restored antique fan running than a new Chinese fan from a big box store.

• Like 5

Yes, if it's a fan I have inspected and reconditioned, it's no problem. I run them if there is a need, such as leaving a large fan going in the shop to help with humidity or paint fumes. If running a desktop fan I won't leave it running "for the sake of leaving it on" but won't turn it off if I happen to walk out for a while and plan to come back. If I had a need to keep one running longterm I would not have any concerns with running a fan 24/7 just because it is "antique." Seems lots less to burn if the fan were to fail in some manner, versus the plastic models sold today.

• Like 3

If I am home, I will leave them running, but they are turned off if I leave the house.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2024 at 4:17 PM, Mark Olson said:

...Fans Running [?]...

Next Question?...

5443389c-e4e5-49be-9da7-fe0d10113495_text.gif.4ec12ee0a5a7accc9bda6d6f5f612f78.gif

• Like 1