GE BB/SC, can anyone date this tag for me

John Nyman

I came across this 16" bb/sc non-oscillator from tidewater Va...rusty as all but nothing much pitted, it's brushed and is a DC motor by the tag. Unknown running condition but I'll get a rectifier, it seems decent inside and was wanting to date it so as to maybe cheer me up enough to do a restoration....any ideas?

rusty2.jpg

rusty1.jpg

You can treat it as 1921, or close enough to that date...   Sometimes these turn up having been adapted to AC use, but your tag gives no indication of it being other than you determined: a 16-inch D.C. G.E... so restore it, why not? 

That's a piece of local history. Given where you found it, It likely started its service life on Virginia's Eastern Shore, which was off the grid until the mid 1930s. The only electricity before then was generated by privately owned light plants. 

If it were me, I'd be inclined to leave it original. It would look great next to a couple of period hand-carved duck decoys.

As Steve said, Form W is generally accepted to be 1921. From my experience (others may vary), Form W is one of the lesser encountered form letters of the post-BMY era.

That's usually my motto as well, when in doubt restore it but I like your idea James, I'll do the mechanicals and think about leaving the "patina"...thank you both!