Ivory(?) Emerson DC 75046

Marc Sova

Posted (edited)

My first DC Emerson….and it looks like it was ivory (or white?) from the factory.

This fan (1930) was from the Palmer House hotel in Chicago, a very large historic hotel, as there is a brass property/inventory tag riveted nicely to the back of a strut. So…it’s likely that the hotel special ordered several in this color (that’s just a guess but I could see an ivory color matching the elegant decor more so than black). It also was in the wall mount position…seemingly for a long time .  But…it’s been painted blacK for a LONG time judging from the amount of grease and grime on it. I’m certain the ivory is original just because of some details….primarily the cage and cage badge. 

I know light linseed oil based paints darken and amber/yellow with age so I’m not yet sure if the exact original  color. One flake/chip that come off the blade, the underside of the chip was  pretty white compared to the rest of the exposed bits that def have an ivory look. So….its yet to be determined what the exact color was. Blade is brass btw. Was painted ivory under the black too. 
  As far as the black goes, it’s pretty well done. Well except for the cage (badge was painted over). But the motor and everything else seems like it was painted black fairly competently. I almost wonder if Emerson authorized repair shops offered repainting?

IMG_2063.jpeg

IMG_2068.jpeg

IMG_2059.jpeg

IMG_2060.jpeg

IMG_2100.jpeg

IMG_2101.jpeg

IMG_2097.jpeg

IMG_2098.jpeg

IMG_2090.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2045.jpeg

IMG_2075.jpeg

Edited by Marc Sova
Delete/add pic
  • Like 4

I'm old enough to have had dinner there, took the wife. She and her Mom would venture from the western suburbs to Chicago every Christmas and have a mother daughter day. She loved it there. Property tag is Uber cool...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Russ….rick Powell mentioned there used to be a post here about the Emerson’s at the Palmer house….any idea where that’s at? I realty have much luck searching. Not sure if that old post got scratched or if it made it over???

34 minutes ago, Marc Sova said:

Russ….rick Powell mentioned there used to be a post here about the Emerson’s at the Palmer house….any idea where that’s at? I realty have much luck searching. Not sure if that old post got scratched or if it made it over???

I don't recall the post. If it is on the new website, the search feature on the website does not hold a candle to the old website. I have not been able to get on to the old website in months. It is still present in cyber space as the post titles appear when I do Google search using key words. If I click on the post links the website will not allow access anymore. 

I have given a number of heads up on recent past posts of the importance of salvaging the old website if possible. The years of information and images compiled on it is priceless. It was my database go to when it was functional to pull fan images, electrical trade images, and information for posts of present. I could pull answers to questions and images within minutes using the old website.  It appears salvaging it could either not be done, the cost to hire someone tech proficient to do it was out of the budget, or too much hassle to do it. 

I am sorry, but I can't help you or others anymore with any posts that date back to the old website unless by some miracle it allows access again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

I don't recall the post. If it is on the new website, the search feature on the website does not hold a candle to the old website. I have not been able to get on to the old website in months. It is still present in cyber space as the post titles appear when I do Google search using key words. If I click on the post links the website will not allow access anymore. 

I have given a number of heads up on recent past posts of the importance of salvaging the old website if possible. The years of information and images compiled on it is priceless. It was my database go to when it was functional to pull fan images, electrical trade images, and information for posts of present. I could pull answers to questions and images within minutes using the old website.  It appears salvaging it could either not be done, the cost to hire someone tech proficient to do it was out of the budget, or too much hassle to do it. 

I am sorry, but I can't help you or others anymore with any posts that date back to the old website unless by some miracle it allows access again.

Yeah… that was kind of my fear. Thanks. 

Marc, if you enter key words into the Google search engine such as "Palmer House Hotel interior 1930", or get creative in your wording in another search, you may cough up an older image in the Palmer Hotel with fans. And then again, you may not. 

PH-Empire-RM-HB03386c-scaled.jpg

35 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

Marc, if you enter key words into the Google search engine such as "Palmer House Hotel interior 1930", or get creative in your wording in another search, you may cough up an older image in the Palmer Hotel with fans. And then again, you may not. 

Yeah I did that for a couple hours the other night lol. Those sconce light figures fooled me for a minute. 

14 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Good morning, I'm going to chime in on this as there still seems to be a lot of confusion over the old website in spite of my best efforts to be clear. Your board of directors spent a significant amount of your dues money salvaging all of the old forums & relocating them to the new website. This took an incredible amount of effort led by Larry Hancock, Lane Shirey, & Jamie along with our current web host. Converting 1990s technology over to 2024 technology did not come easy & crashed the site numerous times in the process. Thanks to these efforts, all of that info is now protected on the new website. It was a near miracle the info was backed up during one of the very few times it was clear of malware. For quite sometime it was believed we could never get it back. I loved the old website, it was simple & easy to navigate. It also was no longer supported by the web host & had been taken over by malware. It had not had a security update since the Windows XP days. Since it was so full of malware, Jamie & I made a shared decision to shut it down, but the info is here.

• Like 1

Thanks Stan. I searched Palmer and came away with a very cool post from the old site.  Nothing came up about the Palmer House except a member reminiscing about his parents being specific collectors of its memorabilia. When searching for the old posts on plugs and adapters, all of the old posts came up. Not debating it, but I've been satisfied with what turns up from the old site. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Stan Adams said:

I loved the old website; it was simple & easy to navigate. It also was no longer supported by the web host & had been taken over by malware. It had not had a security update since the Windows XP days. Since it was so full of malware, Jamie & I made a shared decision to shut it down, but the info is here.

Stan, no disrespect intended to you and those who played a part in the efforts to salvage the old website. It appears my choice of words in my previous post here and lack of knowledge of ALL that went down to gain access the old website posts was wrong. You and those involved have my sincere apology. 

I too, like you, enjoyed the easy navigation of the old website, and access to the years of posts through key words on Google, or the old website search engine. I can't do the same now with the new old forum access. That is no fault of those involved that made a diligent effort to salvage the old website. If members are using it to their benefit, then all the efforts and cost were worth it.  If the old website is full of malware and needed to be shut down, it is what it is

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Yeah I did that for a couple hours the other night lol. Those sconce light figures fooled me for a minute. 

Call me insane but…..ima pick all this black off to preserve what’s left of their final finish. 

IMG_2238.jpeg

IMG_2234.jpeg

FWIW....those DC Emerson fans are basic, but well designed and well-constructed. Emerson used a cast iron field unlike the big boys Westinghouse and GE. Those DC Emersons run virtually silent despite the brushed motor. Your base has significant paint loss and rust. You could strip it down to bare metal and match the finish you cherish. The critical detail to your fan is seen below. You just polish the tag up and put it back where it was on your match finish fan. 🙂

Or, you can tell me to fly a kite and mind my own business. 🙂

download.png

• Like 2

Your Commutator is of little wear super healthy. Lots of miles to go on that one. 

IMG_2090.thumb.jpeg.d7ef6c2012fe28ca8cf819cb178a1603.jpeg

6 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

Your Commutator is of little wear super healthy. Lots of miles to go on that one. 

IMG_2090.thumb.jpeg.d7ef6c2012fe28ca8cf819cb178a1603.jpegOh really? Nice (I know little about DC). The brushes look decent oo. Like almost too good/new. And they’re huge!!!! (I’ve only pulled brushes on smaller ac/dc fans like northwind an and westy all brass). Odd because I’m under the impression that this thing has been in storage for a looooooog time. And it was really filthy so it ran a lot. That’s the strange thing…. trying to wrap my head around the fact that the black paint job seems really really old (lead oil) and for it to be so greasy/dirty on top of the black….and being dc from 1930…well, I just can’t square how it couldve gotten that dirty running on dc in the short amount of time that dc was maybe still around in Chicago?. Unless after being at the Palmer house, it moved or was sold to a mechanical room or machine shop or some industrial type location where they had dc power for some mechanical type machines etc.????

IMG_2082.jpeg

6 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

FWIW....those DC Emerson fans are basic, but well designed and well-constructed. Emerson used a cast iron field unlike the big boys Westinghouse and GE. Those DC Emersons run virtually silent despite the brushed motor. Your base has significant paint loss and rust. You could strip it down to bare metal and match the finish you cherish. The critical detail to your fan is seen below. You just polish the tag up and put it back where it was on your match finish fan. 🙂

Or, you can tell me to fly a kite and mind my own business. 🙂

download.png

Yeah it may indeed become a pull repaint. But for now I’m hoping to inpaint the missing areas at least on the motor. But end it has some huge swaths of missing ivory. But yeah the base and cage would be a full repaint.  

Decided to go at it with acetone. 

IMG_2428.jpeg

IMG_2429.jpeg