1890s New York

Russ Huber

Id say it's an 1890s pancake of some type. The blade profile matches. You cant really see it but there are distortions in the blades probably where the inner ring of the cage passes in front of them. That diameter looks similar to pancake cage then. I think it is a fan like this 1898 one. DSCN2664__93011.thumb.jpg.252cb8bb0b487ba7920e7b039d5e7c0d.jpg

17 minutes ago, Trevor Andersen said:

Id say it's an 1890s pancake of some type. The blade profile matches. You cant really see it but there are distortions in the blades probably where the inner ring of the cage passes in front of them. That diameter looks similar to pancake cage then. I think it is a fan like this 1898 one. 

If you take a closer look at the fan using the enlarging feature in the link provided, pay closer attention to the fan being what appears to be a "tilt".

'Steve Brodie in His Bar, the New York City Tavern' Photographic Print - American Photographer | Art.com

There's a previous post on that fan with better pictures.    

16 minutes ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

There's a previous post on that fan with better pictures.    

Please post the pictures.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

I am not 100% on this but studying the fan using the enlarging feature on the image in the link below, the fan appears to me to be at a tilt. The other thing I see off to the right of the bottom right wing is what appears to be a pole winding. 

'Steve Brodie in His Bar, the New York City Tavern' Photographic Print - American Photographer | Art.com

US494978-drawings-page-1.png

images (2).v1 (2).jpg

images (1).v1.jpg

unnamed.v1 (7).jpg

Still don't understand how this is supposed to tilt back and forth.  Or is it rotating around a pivot point?

Edited by Louis Luu

12 minutes ago, Louis Luu said:

Still don't understand how this is supposed to tilt back and forth.  Or is it rotating around a pivot point?

Google Patents

US494978

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Russ Huber said:

US494978-drawings-page-1.thumb.v1.jpg.db9cd1ab1bfa630f72b35fd440c8676a.png

I've sent the patent description to my physics friend.  She is way smarter then me.

1 hour ago, Russ Huber said:

I am not 100% on this but studying the fan using the enlarging feature on the image in the link below, the fan appears to me to be at a tilt. The other thing I see off to the right of the bottom right wing is what appears to be a pole winding. 

images (2).v1 (2).jpg

images (1).v1.jpg

unnamed.v1 (7).jpg

I was going to guess Crocker-Wheeler as well, based on the zoom. Looks like it!

Got a quick response for the tilt.  Something to do with realigning center of gravity base on equilateral triangle.....reason for the tilt.

The fan is rotating around the pivot point according to this picture.  The center of mass would be difficult to get correct and have it properly rotate.

image.jpeg.0ca84b6b59b5ccb8ee2b75488c554a5e.jpeg

Please let us know when you get done reproducing it, Louis. Would love to see a C-W chunk of iron spin in circles. I wonder how long the moving components could hack the weight of that motor leaning off center before it wears out and comes down like a meteorite to the floor. 🙂

1 minute ago, Russ Huber said:

Please let us know when you get done reproducing it, Louis. Would love to see a C-W chunk of iron spin in circles. I wonder how long the moving components could hack the weight of that motor leaning off center before it wears out and comes down like a meteorite to the floor. 🙂

Will get to it when my C&C Outfit fan arrives around Christmas time.  I need something to model it after.  I was mistaken about the fan's operation at first.  I had thought the fan swung back and forth from side to side like a pendulum.....I thought there is not way that is possible.  The rotation will need some sort of bearing to improve the spinning....doable.  The center of mass will be tricky.  The portable battery fan is coming along.  I have gathered all the necessary materials and will be drawing up the frame.  I got some magnet wires from George Durbin to toy around with.  I will need to drag out my winder.  Today is my last day from heavy work.  Currently working on the Magneto/Dynamo to keep me distracted.  Also, need to finish up the Simplex table drawing.  I intend to make a smaller version for small toy fans.

14 hours ago, Louis Luu said:

The fan is rotating around the pivot point according to this picture.  The center of mass would be difficult to get correct and have it properly rotate.

Screenshot_20240510-230507_Drive.thumb.jpg.e83db22fe47a37038ce2002bf0c80bff.jpg

Screenshot_20240510-230529_Drive.thumb.jpg.75678bd894e2ddaf4ef7af507e6ebd30.jpg

Theoffice.jpg.7d94b3181cd52877fb981545ac904d0c.jpg.5087f558e91e681573c3170fc2f95e00.jpg

WildWest3.jpg.6ad6afc8c85444b540f82576a9b9eead.jpg.fdffd19a6408e9401db6a97296e9989d.jpg

8 hours ago, Russ Huber said:

C-W had two 360 revolvers in the spring of 1892.

content.v1 (69).jpg

sodapdf-converted.jpg.2d346e035b71f97eb4a7e5af9bcd3c27.jpg

Emerson's revolver
      a year later...

Screenshot_20240511-081026_Drive.thumb.jpg.fd278bfc17c75ad60fbda26b83e39885.jpg

• Thanks 1

Jim and Russ.  Thank you for this picture.  This was the picture I needed...side view.  This will give me some clue for how to model the fan.  Thank you.

image.jpeg.ffddcfde2610f1d2e376cf1d4de1688d.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Louis Luu said:

This was the picture I needed...side view.  This will give me some clue for how to model the fan.  Thank you.

image.jpeg.ffddcfde2610f1d2e376cf1d4de1688d.jpeg

This operates on the same fan motor tilt principle as the desk model. It would be easier to construct.

image.thumb.png.54b42300ff1eac14d36a3fa9d89eadb9.png

Edited by Russ Huber