The more wings the merrier!New addition.

Paul Carmody

I was able to sneak it from the porch to the fan room today.I have so many she will not notice.I can hear it now!Really! Another one! It’s not like I have problem.I have only purchased 5 ,or was it 6 fans ? since last month.

She is sound asleep so here we go.Quiet Now! Let’s see if it survived its travel.

IMG_1592.jpeg

IMG_1593.jpeg

IMG_1594.jpeg

And other than the brass blade being painted black there is not a bend or ripple anywhere.This  one will clean up nicely.Most the pen stripes are still visible.I plugged it in ,all four inches of line cord and not a hint of vibration.The motor is soundless with nothing but wind.These R+Ms(Technically)are impressive.One of my Westinghouse fans may lose its prime spot.

IMG_1597.jpeg

IMG_1602.jpeg

Edited by Paul Carmody
  • Like 3

I was able to sneak it from the porch to the fan room today.I have so many she will not notice.I can hear it now!Really! Another one! It’s not like I have problem.I have only purchased 5 ,or was it 6 fans ? since last month.

She is sound asleep so here we go.Quiet Now! Let’s see if it survived its travel.

Paul, this struck me very amusing.   How many of us sneak fans into our basements where they can blend in unnoticed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I was fortunate to live in a house with a really big back yard that has been able to host 3 barns / storage buildings, 2 of which were constructed since we bought the place in 1993. My Bride tends to like retiring early, like when the sun goes down.  There was a time when I would come home from a fan meet or a weekend search and acquire event and I would arive home just after dark, drive directly to the barns out back, unload a truck load of whatever, then turn around and " come home "  with an empty truck. I did get into trouble occasionally, like when we went to one of the early fanfairs in DeSoto TX. We cane down with a carload of fans to use as illustrations in a seminar event. They somehow seemed to attract more fans during the Bourse event & Auction.  I had to rent a U-Haul trailer one way to Arkansas to get everyone back home. Couldn't hide those....

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Here’s my technique, and it involves no deception at all … well maybe just a bit of a ploy. My wife loves purses. Every time she sees one she likes, I encourage her (almost to the point of insisting) to get it. She now has a closet of purses. I have a basement of fans. We’re a happy pair. 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

In 1921 Westinghouse announced in electrical trade the blades would be painted black to match the rest of the fan enamel. It was determined especially on the polished brass blade oscillators in operation in the light that the fans were "obtrusive". That was the word used in that particular 21 article. 

One day the fan motor was to be noticed as art, the next it is a machine for purpose out of sight, out of mind. 🙂

content (2).v1 (21).jpg

• Like 3

Years ago I sat at my work bench in the basement involved with a project with old fans surrounding me. My girlfriend at that time came down into the basement and approached me. I turned around and looked up at her. All she said was "Don't you think this is getting a little out of hand." 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife has always supported me dragging home fans.  She has some interest but not a lot.  They are almost always slithered (by me) into the basement and then, someday, some are promoted and taken upstairs and put on display.  

This one I can’t explain.  I found this at a mall antique show about 30 years ago.    It was dirt cheap and weighs about 80 lbs.  I hid it in my basement for over 2 years.  One day I decided to fess up.  If it was a fan it would have just appeared and gone unnoticed.  

5F7E0ED7-7217-4622-B934-3057C4A4A5C7.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks Russ that is very interesting.I wouldn’t have thought of that!

I don’t know if that is good or bad information 🤫I had visions of a shining brass blade.Other than the the edge of one blade the paint on the blades are really nice.Looks easy to touch up.Decisions Decisions?Just a good cleaning and service for now.

Edited by Paul Carmody

On 9/14/2023 at 11:37 AM, Russ Huber said:

Years ago I sat at my work bench in the basement involved with a project with old fans surrounding me. My girlfriend at that time came down into the basement and approached me. I turned around and looked up at her. All she said was "Don't you think this is getting a little out of hand." 🙂

Did you say "Honey I'm going to miss you!"?

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2023 at 6:55 AM, John Trier said:

Paul, this struck me very amusing.   How many of us sneak fans into our basements where they can blend in unnoticed. 

I sneak mine into the garage. Easy enough for them to blend into the other fan and assorted junk laying around.