Tony Clayton's fabulous wire for my Edison bipolar

David Kilnapp

Friends:  I just returned from Rochester NY (where my wife and I met at the U of R) to find a package from that master craftsman, Tony Clayton. I had asked Tony to create something special to connect my Edison-Lalande battery to the Edison bipolar fan. I sort of described what I was thinking about but in the end, I asked Tony to use his imagination. Below is what he created for me:

IMG_4282.thumb.JPG.1d6b78f7fc9798eea7fc3b45713ed4b3.JPG

Tony's description of this wire follows:

"It's rather old era unknown 18AWG GE magnet wire which I braided with a new configuration on my machine which is actually producing a much tighter braid.  I then wound the wire on a 5/15 rod to pigtail. The connectors are originally brass ring connectors, reshaped to C connectors to replicate something old. The connectors have four tabs. I stripped wire to long and placed under the forward tabs. I crimped and folded the extra over the top back to the second set of tabs, which were also crimped thereby creating a relief of sorts so that the wire would resist being pulled out if tugged"

The wire gives a rather vintage look to the arrangement and ties together the jar and the fan rather nicely. See pictures below.

IMG_4286.thumb.JPG.d1bc8e1e2e3c43ac2f31c8e511964f98.JPG

IMG_4284.thumb.JPG.5368d9098ccbf645cdac13258893f8f2.JPG

IMG_4285.thumb.JPG.cea491ce71deb731190de9a073093313.JPG

IMG_4287.thumb.JPG.bbda0c774dedd74e2472a593f1254e9b.JPG

I would encourage anyone who wants this extra special "touch" to contact Tony to discuss what you would like. We are so fortunate to have a fine gentleman, like Tony, who is so willing to share his superb skills with all of us.

Clayton.jpg.80ce17f1926adcf506c2d6d13e5b3315.jpg

I'm sure Tony would love to hear your comments if you would care to post. As for me, I am beyond happy!

IMG_4283.JPG

Edited by David Kilnapp
  • Like 9

I have a fresh run of Tony's standard 3 strand cloth sheathed 18 AWG head cord waiting for my check to arrive. Looks damn good to me, can't wait. Fancy work and time done on yours, David.   

20231007_150600.jpg

• Like 2

That looks amazing - the way it  sits with the battery jar you’d think it was totally original. Great work.

Incredible work David and Tony.

I have yet to be disappointed with an order from Tony. "Master Craftsman" describes him well. 

One thing that continues to amaze me is when I see an immaculately fan restored by someone who then proceeds to sticks cheap sundial wire on it. It ruins it if you ask me. Sundial has its place on the newer fans of course, but I am happy to see that you spared no expense or effort in restoring this beautiful Edison fan David. Well done!

• Like 1