Crazy 'One-Off' Fan Prices?

Paul Michael

I like to watch, and often laugh, at 'ridiculously' priced fans on eBay, etc. But quite often—I  find myself scratching my head when they sell!

Here's on that sold this morning, a GE 3-star for $561! 

Would ANY collectors on here pay that much? I think these prices are aberrations, when a ,new' collector with more money than sense enters the market, or perhaps a person who only wants a single fan as a decorative antique/period piece...

I just bought this same 3-star, working with outstanding original finish, only needing CC&L, for $150 only a couple weeks ago. I'd pay $200 TOPS for a fan like this? Am I wrong?

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 9.54.09 AM.png

Cage and struts are probably close to $200 if purchased separately.   Even more expensive to have them made.

There is a lot of stupidity on eBay. I collect Sarr X bottle openers. Coke are a dime a dozen. There are three markings on them that show its age. Even the ones that are pre 1925 are only worth about 50 tops in good condition. I have seen pricing up to 600 and 900 dollars. Insanity. I have seen some actually sell for 200 plus. They are not worth more than 50 bucks tops. Some rare ones can go for a few hundred or more such as GE, Kalvinator, Miller Beer [the old ones not the new made in Germany ones. ]  I have seen it on several things on eBay. I have wondered if they are actually selling drugs or something else and people know you buy this product but you get so much cocaine or other drugs. Or eve a firearm. I have no proof of this but its one of the few things I could come up with that would make sense for these prices. I can still find an AOU for 20 bucks now and then. But 75 to 100 is about normal now for one that is in working condition but needs to be refurbished. The AOUs and other GE fans have got a lot of interest. I sell some of my referbs on Etsy. These fans get the most attention. After a referb I get around 450 for one. That is all brass polished, sand blasted and new paint, new wiring and plug, grease removed cleaned and new grease wicks ect. I don't make all that much money its just fund to repair them. If I Kept all the fans I repair I would need a barn to keep them in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anthony Lindsey said:

Cage and struts are probably close to $200 if purchased separately.   Even more expensive to have them made.

This is why one should *never* buy incomplete fans! 
Or fans with incorrect cages on them!!! 😉

• Like 1

I agree that there are ridiculous prices ,and that is high for that fan.A lot has to do with where you live.For one I will in the wild never see a fan like that ,and If I did it would sell for much more than $200.Stan’s  meets are the only reasonable priced fans I can find.I only bought 2 not so desirable fans this year because I drove 200 miles before I realized I left most my cash at home. DANGIIT !! Brass blade fans around here of any kind are rare finds.I’ve got a couple of good deals off the forum ,but then shipping has to be factored in.

Sometimes if you have an itch you have to scratch it.

• Like 2