Emerson 11646 Completed

Bobby Gaines

Hi Fan Friends! I finished restoring my Emerson 11646. I bought it from Karen at Doc's meet in June. The motor and switch was in pretty good shape,the base and motor case needed to be repainted. I got Jerry Bravi to rewind the blade (beautiful job) and send me a kit for the centrifugal start switch which was perfect! New head wire and power cord. Had a lot of work on the cage straightening, silver soldering and polishing. I had help from members with several problems beyond my expertise. All and all I think it turned out pretty go.      

1.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

13.jpg

Edited by Bobby Gaines
miss spelled
  • Like 7

Love those early ones Bobby! Could not have done a better job on that one. I hope to bring one home from Doc's later this week.

Bobby, that is truly beautiful!  👍  Impressive paint laydown - is that automotive?  What's the secret to polishing blades so smooth, i.e. without any scratch marks?  I understand that even microfiber cloths will scratch brass................

If you get tired of this fan, let me know, my son wants this very fan, in this condition ............    😉

Dennis that is Rust-oleum appliance paint polished out after curing 7 or 8 days. I used Menzerna medium cut. 

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bobby Gaines said:

Dennis that is Rust-oleum appliance paint polished out after curing 7 or 8 days.

That's my fave gloss black rattle can paint, Bobby. Look how close it gets to the original Japan/enamel.  You can actually apply multiple coats in the first shooting. You just have to be careful to keep your coats even, avoid excess and runs. The part you have to be careful with appliance epoxy is give it plenty of cure time if you're going to shoot more coats down the road. Even a week of drying down the road I have had it bubble up adding new coats and have to start over from square one. 

Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy vs Original Factory Enamel - Pre-1950 (Antique) - Antique Fan Collectors Association - AFCA Forums

7.thumb.jpg.77cc1d3afa07aa4ca5a57f569c85634a.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.5537f1453815405418bd6b53102bc961.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2

Darrel Koller makes decent repops of the switch cover. I ordered a bunch from him. I see your switch cover securing screws were rusted into the nuts and snapped off trying to get them out, or the heads cut off after one wouldn't break free. 🙂 I have drilled them out in past and replaced them with brass screws and nuts. It is amazing how tough/dense that porcelain is. It will fracture, but try drilling into it, it'll dull the bit.  In a nutshell, the porcelain will hold up to guide drilling out the rusted screws. 

13.thumb.jpg.0283f3e9b3bf7e5051e857da18699a03.jpg

Edited by Russ Huber
  • Like 2